
I'm trying to find and use more recipes that are meatless lately just to mix things up around here. This "Eggie Cake" -- as my two-year-old named it-- was a total winner. I can't wait to make it again! Of course, I put my own tweaks on the recipe to accommodate my family's tastes, but the original looks delicious as well.
Veggie Quiche with Potato Crust
or Eggie Cake
adapted from For the Love of Cooking.net
2 red potatoes, sliced very thin
1 tsp olive oil
1/2 sweet onion (I actually didn't use this due to the Doc's allergy and repultion of onions -- but it needs it)
1 zuchinni, diced
1 cup of fresh spinach, diced
1 cup of shredded carrots
1 tomato, diced
1/4 cup reduced fat feta cheese
6-7 leaves of fresh basil, chopped (I just sprinkled mine on)
4 eggs
8 egg whites (or 2 cups of Egg Scramblers)
1/4 cup skim milk
sea salt and freshly cracked pepper, to taste
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Coat pie dish with cooking spray. Layer and overlap thin slices of potato on the bottom of pan. Bake in oven for 10 minutes, then remove from oven.
Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Saute the onions for 3-4 minutes, then add carrots, zuchinni and spinach for another 4-5 minutes or so. Remove from heat.
Sprinkle the diced tomato, basil and half of the feta cheese over potatoes. Then layer on the cooked veggies. Beat the eggs with milk and season with salt and pepper to taste. Pour the egg mixture on top of the veggies and top with the remaining feta cheese.
Place in the oven for 40 minutes or until a knife inserted comes out clean. Don't overcook (yuck -- rubbery eggs!). Remove from oven and let cool for 10 minutes before slicing.
Enjoy for breakfast, lunch or dinner.
Makes 8 large slices. Each slice a measly 110 calories.

4 comments:
That sounds good, but boy is that a lot of eggs! That's pretty much a whole carton, though I'd still try it.
I made this tonight and the family loved it! Thanks!
I made this the other day and we will definitely be making this again!
Just made this tonight. Except I used sweet potatoes and added some deli ham. It was so yummy and so low in calories. I had two slices and was very satisfied. I get excited when I find a new healthy recipe, thanks!
Post a Comment