My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://www.trainermomma.com
and update your bookmarks.

Wednesday, February 3, 2010

New Feature: Eat With the Kids

Have you entered the Trainer Momma Valentine Giveaway yet?
Well, my friend, click here to enter your chance to win a new heart rate monitor!

Well, it’s time for full disclosure:

What are my kids eating?



You’ve followed me meal to meal for a few weeks now, and you probably are gathering that what I eat is pretty darn predictable. But these children that are running around and calling me mother? Well, they are a different story.

My household is just like yours: a crazy family with kids who have piano practice, piano lessons, basketball practice and games, chess club, homework, after-school sports camps, friends over, homework, church activities, park outings, etc. And with me trying to squeeze in my fitness obsession – life gets a bit wild (and messy) around here. I am not, and have never claimed, to feed my family nor myself perfectly. I realize – especially when I blog about it – that I have A LOT of room for improvement.

I am going to post a new feature on Trainer Momma called "Eat With the Kids". There are a few things you may notice:

  • I don’t count my kids’ calories.
  • I do close the kitchen.
  • I try to have lots of healthy food around so I'm not so stressed about what they are eating. Everything is pretty safe around these parts.
  • The kids are expected to eat what we are eat for dinner.
  • I try to give several food options on their plates each meal.
  • Beverages in our house are water and skim milk.
  • Every kid has their own “food personality” and I try to be patient with that (I TRY!).
  • I have different expectations for my two year-old than the older kids.
  • We do have treats occasionally!
  • We rarely take our kids out to eat. I can remember once in the past year. I hated it.
  • Some nights are just bean and cheese burrito nights (with fat-free refried beans and whole wheat tortillas, of course!).

Now as you read these Eat With the Kids posts, my purpose is to show you that although we are not 100% perfect nutrition wise, we are 100% trying! This raising human beings thing is a project in the works, ever evolving and changing.

I learn as I go, so I'm asking you to pass on your ideas! What works for you and your kids? Email me or post a comment anytime. You know how I love that :)


6 comments:

Anonymous said...

One of my biggest successes is that my kids LOVE fruit.

Also they like things in small packages. So when I buy fruit for snacking, I buy the smallest possible peices- small hand-held apples for little mouthes, clementine oranges, berries, small bananas. My kids are all over it. They think it's fun.

Jen Howick said...

Can't WAIT for this!

The Martin Family said...

I have a snack envelope for each child on the fridge with snack options. I write on index cards options that I have in the house that are healthy. They choose which makes them happy and I provide the choices which makes me happy. It works for the after school snack at our house.

heather said...

This will be great! Your Eat with Me is a great motivator for me to eat for fuel and health.
I was wondering if you would be able to answer a question I have aboutnet calories. I spent over an hour reading forums discussing net calories and calorie deficit etc. last night. I usually eat around 1600 (on a "good" day) to 1800 (on a "bad" day). I also try to burn around 400-500 calories 5-6 times a week, but sometimes I burn 600 if I have extra time. My question is should I be eating more so my "net" doesn't go below a certain number? I feel like I am actually gaining weight in spite of being practically obsessive about working out and counting calories.

Trainer Momma said...

Heather --

You should never go below 1200 calories, that is the absolute lowest. I would #1 -- don't obsess over this. It will drive you crazy. #2 -- eat TONS of nutrient dense veggies, fruits, nuts, lean proteins, whole grains to fill up your calorie bank. You are cranking out the workouts here and want to be sure that you are fueling your body with the right KINDS of to sustain you, and enough calories to sustain you. In order to lose weight, YOU HAVE TO EAT. On days when I have an epic workout and burn through loads of calories, it is hard to not have a deficit (unless I go to the Cheesecake factory). Just be sure it is not huge every day. A few hundred give or take is normal.

heather said...

Below 1200 net? (See, driving myself crazy!) I know not to consume that few, even if I had the will power to! Thanks for taking the time to answer!

Related Posts with Thumbnails