I have an elliptical machine at my house. Whenever I use it, within a few minutes the bottoms of my feet begin to go numb. About 15 minutes on, my feet sort of feel like they are on fire. It doesn't happen when I use the treadmill. What is going on?

This is normal! This happens to me all the time and has for years.
I, too, have an elliptical at home. It is a bit cheaper ($100 find at an estate sale -- SCORE!) and not so fancy as the ones at the gym. I notice my feet burn more on the cheapee than the ones at the gym. The only thing I can figure is the design is different (the pulling and pushing motions are at slightly different angles or something).
Also, elliptical training is a fantastic low impact exercise for the knees and joints, but lousy for circulation in the feet because they never move! That's why on the treadmill you are fine -- your feet are moving and getting good circulation. On the elliptical for some of us, our feet throw a bit of a fit. It is not causing any permanent damage, however, just temporary discomfort.
Another factor that I've notice effects the burning is my weight. I know for me, when I've been heavier or pregnant, the burning is much more of a problem.
The ways I've gotten around this is by:
1. Rocking back and forth on my feet while I "peddle". It's hard to explain, but as I step forward I put more weight on my heel, then as the foot moves back I rock onto my toes. I even will do this before the numbness sets in. It seems to help.
2. I'll take more stepping motions, even slightly lifting my feet off of the machine with each step.
3. I'll do intervals with the machine by doing the elliptical for 3-5 minutes, then jump rope for 2-5 minutes. I rotate back and forth until my time is up. This is my favorite way to handle it!
4. Wiggle my toes periodically throughout the workout.
5. Suffer through it.
So, there are no weird neurological issues going on. Just two feet that are sick of being stuck in the same place for a long time. But does that stop us? HECK NO! Keep it up :)
Please send any questions my way here. I love them!

5 comments:
Would you believe I thought this only happened to me? True story! Your explanation makes perfect sense. I just love the elliptical and can't do treadmill - I have a bad knee & heel and the elliptical is the only cardio (weight-bearing, at least) that doesn't aggravate it. I'll try some more foot motion to see if that helps with the numbness.
I love this question because this happens to both me and my sweet hubby.
I remember asking you about this a few months ago! How funny! I found that my feet actually didn't burn as bad after I got used to the elliptical a few times a week. I did the rocking thing w/ my heel & toes and that did help.
Ah, so THAT'S why it happens! Glad to know it's not just me. Thanks for the tips!
I hate that about the elliptical. I'm glad to hear it isn't just me. :)
Post a Comment