My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://www.trainermomma.com
and update your bookmarks.

Friday, February 12, 2010

Fit Momma Question: Eating Before the Workout

This question came in from Fit Momma Brenda recently:

I am curious about why you eat a piece of bread before you workout. What does that help with?




I have worked out early morning for years -- and for many years of that I rolled out of bed, threw my clothes on and drove bleary eyed to the gym in the dark. I never ate anything because:

a. It was too darn early for breakfast. I just couldn't stomach it.
b. I didn't want the extra calories.
c. I had some theory I made up that my body would burn more calories if I just starved it.

Well, I started working with a personal trainer named Robbie when I was living in Phoenix. He was incredibly talented and intense and I was giddy to be able to work with him. His workouts took me to a new fitness level, but during his workouts I was getting light headed, seeing spots, and my performance started slipping. Robbie grilled me as I helplessly held my hand up signifying I needed a break and I confessed that I never ate before I worked out in the morning. I had to tell the truth, he was 6"3 and a retired martial arts pro. Frankly, I was slightly scared of him.

He demanded/encouraged me to eat something small like a piece of whole wheat bread before I worked out. He wanted me to eat a complex carb, so it was not too heavy, but something for my body to "work on" during my workouts. I could eat a banana or a quick bowl of cereal -- anything that was a complex carb.

Now, I always eat a slice of bread because it is easy, fast, and I know how many calories I'm getting. Plus, I make my own bread and simply just want to enjoy it once a day :)

If I know I'm going to have a longer workout, I add a little more complex carbs -- like a banana or a small bowl of cereal, so I don't hit the wall. I don't hit it heavy on the proteins, but some good, healthy carbs so my body can use it as glycogen to fuel my muscles. I literally have been at the gym, mistakenly not eaten enough, feel myself getting weak and go around begging for food from people. Pretty pathetic. Anything to finish the workout!

I must say since I've done this I've had no problem with my early morning workouts. If I happen to workout later, anytime after 7 AM, I skip that bread and just eat my normal breakfast.

Have a question or great idea to pass on? Contact me here.

6 comments:

Alicia said...

What a great idea! I tried eating a protien bar before I worked out, but it just made things worse. Maybe I need to try something a bit lighter.

Ann Hatch said...

Hey,
I really want your bread recipe! Pray tell!

Trainer Momma said...

Alright, already! I have to make bread soon, so I'll fire up the camera and get a post up...

Delanie said...

Yes, your bread recipe would be awesome! Please share!

the Villamor's said...

what a great way to enjoy your homemade bread!!!

i do not eat before my early morning workouts(5am)...do better that way but when I walk in the door i down a banana right away. WHen i am not at the gym in the early mornings I will eat something light so I am not feeling it while I am exercising. One morning I ate a bowl of oatmeal and a banana 3 hours before my spin class and got sick. I forgot how oatmeal sticks with you all morning!

Anonymous said...

We are same..Before I start my daily work outs,I eat a piece of bread and drink a one glass water..!!Eating a piece of bread would really help!!That is really true..


phoenix personal trainer

Related Posts with Thumbnails