My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://www.trainermomma.com
and update your bookmarks.

Friday, January 8, 2010

Why Only 1,700 Calories Per Day?

I've posted my meals (here and here) for a few days this week and have gotten this question:

Are you trying to maintain or lose weight?

Yes, I'm trimming down right now, thus the 1,700 calories. That is 1,700 when I include my workout and am burning roughly 350 calories. If I didn't work out, I would only be eating under 1,500 calories. Seriously, for me to lose weight (I'm going for a pound a week) it is low calorie-ville. When I maintain, I eat around 1,900 calories with no exercise, 2,100 -ish when I workout hard.

I must say this, however. Maintaining does not just happen for me. Are you like this too? There are some blessed/lucky/I-have-no-idea-gene-pool-they-came-from gals who just are thin, don't really focus on their weight and they maintain their lovely figure indefinitely. I am not one of those people. My body LIKES to be a bit heavier, I'm convinced. I'm a gal who is 5'8 (OK, 5'7 1/2", but does the DMV really check this stuff?). My body is soooo content and comfortable around 145 lbs. Guess what? I am soooo much happier at 133 - 138 lbs. I have a constant 5 lbs that fluctuate up and down -- and it doesn't bother me (that much). But once I break 138, it's time to hunker down.

This is my much-to-philosophical-for-this-topic analogy:



I imagine myself swimming in a river. I think some women's rivers don't have strong currents. Mine does. In order to stay where I am I have to constantly be swimming upstream. Otherwise I get carried away with that weight gain current. I personally have to continually monitor what I am eating and watch my portions closely. Sounds exhausting? It isn't. It's just reality. I know that about myself. I accept it. I realized a long time ago that there many things in my life I cannot control; but my weight is not one of them. I made a decision I would never be a victim to it. Thus, I keep on swimming upstream. And overtime, my stroke has improved, I've gotten strong, and now I'm a pretty efficient swimmer.

So, bring on the 1700 calories per day.

What about you, Fit Mommas? Are you swimming upstream like me? Or were you blessed with an easy to stay fit bod? We're all different, I'd love to read about it!

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love your blog! Keep the great posts coming. I am also loving the Eat with Me posts. You've given me some great ideas. Would love to see more of those too. I made your black bean soup last night with dinner... so yummy! Thanks.

martha corinna said...

I'm really enjoying your posts as well.

I stay "thin" fairly easily, I always thought that I must have amazing genes but over the past few years I've realized that it is because I don't really care for that much sugar and that is why I don't gain easily. I even tested my theory out for a week last winter, I made an effort to eat some kind of dessert everyday and lo and behold, at the end of the week, my arms were bigger, my belly was bigger, I gained 3 lbs and I didn't feel so hot.

Being thin and fit are two different things though and I do have to work hard to stay fit.

Trainer Momma said...

Really good point. Thin and fit are NOT synonymous.

Dani said...

Just wanted to share with you that when I picked the kiddos up from the gym daycare today James ran and gave me a big hug but then pulled back and said, "Ew Mommy. Why you wet?" Successful workout!

Amanda said...

You are a daily read for me and I find all your information consistent with everything "good" I read in nutrition and exercise. Bottom line for me: If I want to stay thin and fit, I have to work out daily, and work out hard, I have to eat less at every meal than I'd like, and I have to eschew 90% of what I want to eat in favor of what I know I should eat, and in truth, also enjoy.

When people ask me how I stay in good shape and I tell them this, the response is usually, "That's no way to live - I'd rather eat whatever I want and be a little overweight." The truth is, I don't believe people really believe this. I think it's what we tell ourselves when we're entrenched in our bad habits - that we're "happier" this way - and we fool ourselves into believing that the alternative is too unattainable. In my dream world, I would eat all the healthy vegetables, meats and fruits that I love and eat now, but I'd have doughnuts and pastries daily and all the brie I could eat, smeared on a never ending serving on baguette.

I like being in good shape, being able to do anything I want physically, and fitting into my clothes. When I eat clean I feel light, healthy and energized. I truly think everyone would prefer to feel this way if they realized it was an option. That said, I crave chocolate and bread daily, and I am still working at impulse control and behavior modification on an hourly basis.

Thanks for all you share, do and write about. I think you're an excellent example to us all.

lbb said...

GREAT post. Thanks for sharing this. I can "look" okay, while still not eating great, but in order to feel my best, I have to swim upstream. I prefer the swim. It's exhausting, for sure, but I have more energy and feel more myself.
Thanks for your honesty!

the Villamor's said...

great post! That was a great analogy and I am glad you are a strong swimmer because I was exhausted! I have a history with an eating disorder and I use to live like this(counting calories, working for a # on the scale and getting crankier by the minute!)....and it didn't work for me...but it does work for so many! And I like hearing about those it works for.

I am very fit but there is always room for improvement. I do agree that eating clean feels so good and that more people would want to live that way if they knew how good it felt! That is how i feel about working out...if only people could experience the feeling of keeping an exercise routine....

but i am one of those people who say "that is no way to live" when it comes to watching everything I eat. Did that is the past and it ruled my life(again...it just wasn't for me!) I try to practice the intuitive eating principles and know exactly when I cross that line. I admire people who can give up white flour or other processed foods completely with not reservations! Bread is my weakness.....

Anonymous said...

Oh I have got a REALLY strong current. Reading about yours makes me feel MUCH better. Thanks for visiting my blog (curious how you found me?) I'll be reading yours from now on.

xo, michelle

Alisa J said...

I ALWAYS have to swim upstream. It can get exhausting sometimes, but its well worth it! I am happy when I strive to stay healthy.

So many STARS so little time! said...

You know my stream too well. And I have to add, skinny does not equal fit. But I also have to say, although I would prefer fit, I'd take skinny genes any day! (post script: And I've really thought about this. That being said, I would no way trade skinny genes for all the other things given to me through these Wright/Smith genes. I love my heritage and feel blessed to have such a great family- including you!).

Alicia said...

I LOVE THIS POST!! Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts. I am definately an upstream swimmer, and used to get so frustrated with those skinny downstream swimmers. Until, I realized, even the skinny ones have to swim upstream. I used to think the skinny people were so lucky to be skinny and not have to work for it. Then I'd be out running erands, and there they were out for their morning jogs. Don't know if any of that makes sense. I need to print all your posts and make a reminder/motivational book for myself.

Alicia said...

BTW, I was a little curious as to why you were eating so few calories to maintain your weight. It made me wonder if I needed to reduce my calories even more. I went in search for your post that talked about how many calories your need to eat to loose weight.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Trainer Momma said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

I am definitely an upstream swimmer! I am a competitive cyclist so I work out 5 days a week with 3 days of double workouts but feel puffier than I would like right now. I mostly follow a Paleo diet - not a fanatic - I do have dairy here and there and pizza/pasta once in awhile. I usually hover around 1500-1700 cals as well. Which means I should be a stick if you consider BMR as well. My coach says I need to eat more! When I stumble its usually because I didn't get enough sleep. Will power goes out the door when you are tired! Sleep and water consumption is key. If only I would listen to my own advice.

Amanda said...

I've been haunted all weekend that my previous comment came out snotty or insensitive to people who struggle with weight or that I'm one of those tragic girls who sits sadly in the corner, eating lettuce leaves, and chants over and over, "Nothing tastes as good as skinny feels."

I'm soooo not. I too have a long and tangled history with an eating disorder and have come to terms with the concept that I must see food as fuel, not as comfort, a stress reliever, a reward or something in which to bury my head when life gets hard. What I meant, lest anyone misunderstand me, when I said that "I don't eat 90% of what I want to" is that I am genetically programmed to crave bread, chocolate and treats all day long. While I love healthy food and eat it almost exclusively, there has never been a day, nor I'm sure there never will, when I don't wish I could eat half a dozen doughnuts or 3 bagels in a sitting.

I am slowly developing the self-control that lets me understand that I don't have to eat everything that looks or tastes good and SHOCKER - there will always be more food! This won't be my last meal out at a nice restaurant, this won't be my last chance to eat dessert, this won't be the beginning of a sad life full of high fiber and low taste.

Our relationships with food, especially as women, seem very complex and rooted in much more than hunger and survival. That said, I love your sound advice because I think it states very plainly that fitness is work, the work is worth it, and sacrifice is only sacrifice if you think you're losing something in the trade-off.

Thanks again - just needed to clear my personal air.

Trainer Momma said...

I totally relate to what you are saying. I, too, have gone through many, many years having a very complicated relationship with food. I've finally realized that food is not my enemy -- my only demon is my ability to moderate myself. I've finally, FINALLY, gotten to a point where I do crave healthy food and the burgers, fries, chips, just don't do it for me. Sugar, however, is my biggest challenge and one that has taken years for me to trust myself around.

I appreciate your honesty -- all of you -- I admire all of your efforts. You inspire me. It will pay off big time today and in the future.

Crystal Star said...

After reading this post again (I needed a refocusing tonight), I keep hearing Dorie from Finding Nemo...
Just keep swimming, swimming, swimming, just keep swimming.

Cher said...

It could have been me writing that post, right down to the numbers! My body just LOVES 145, while I prefer under 140. I am nursing a back injury that severely limits my exercise but I can do the upright bike and some weights but it really comes down to my eating. I shoot for 1200 to 1400 calories a day and that ain't much.

I know it's all logical, fewer calories going in, more calories going out. Given my BMR and the calories I eat I should be where I want but I'm not!!! Argh!!! I'm definitely an upstream swimmer, have been my whole life and always will be. Only when I was running marathons and half marathons in my 20's was I exactly where I wanted to be. I can't run ever again and once I hit my 30's wow, did the metabolism ever hit rock bottom. Oh well, I'm doing the best I can and I love all of your tips!

Thanks for blogging!

Related Posts with Thumbnails