My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://www.trainermomma.com
and update your bookmarks.

Monday, August 24, 2009

Lunch Ideas

I was raised on the brown bag. I've never discussed this with my mother as to why she made the decision. I will even admit that she made my lunch for me EVERYDAY during high school. Hello. Is that love or what? I think she knew that it was either that or a Grandma's Giant Chocolate Chip Cookie and a frozen fruit punch for lunch topped off with a bag of Skittles. As I look back, I thank her for that extra effort.

After the rant I posted last week, I realize that the only responsible thing to do would be to offer some good, healthy ideas to pack for lunch for the kiddos. This list is merely off the top of my head and one that I threw together to hang on the fridge to help my kids pack their lunches. It is to help you come up with your own ideas with your kids, as I know all of our kids have different tastes (that is a polite way of saying "Kids can be picky.").

Lunch Ideas



Protein
Lean Turkey
Lean Ham
Chicken
Peanut Butter
Boiled Egg
Yogurt
String Cheese
Tuna
Chicken Salad
Egg Salad
Nuts
Beef/Turkey Jerky
Turkey Pepperoni
Grains
Whole Wheat Bread
Whole Wheat Tortillas
Whole Wheat Wraps
Homemade Muffins
Homemade Bread
Whole Wheat Pancakes
Whole Wheat English Muffin
Whole Wheat Bagels
Fruit
Apple
Orange
Cantaloupe
Watermelon
Grapes
Pear
Banana
Strawberries
Blueberries
Veggies
Carrots
Spinach
Celery
Snap peas
Cucumbers
Red Peppers
Green Salad with dressing on the side
Dairy
Yogurt
Low Fat Cottage Cheese
String Cheese
Cheese
Treats
Homemade healthy baked goods
Applesauce (no sugar added)
Trail Mix
Yogurt w/ granola
Homemade granola bars
Dried fruit
Popcorn
Whole Wheat Pretzels
Baked Chips
Stickers
Love note from home

**Note: The ONLY beverage option is simple: WATER. No juice, fruit drinks, etc. Too many extra calories. Also, there is no category for Doritos, Caprisuns, or fruit snacks. We're going for healthy here, moms.

We are stinkin' busy. There are too many kids, too many errands, too much work, not enough sleep or nights that "The Office" is on. So, cut down on your to-do list and have the kids make their own lunches! Let them do the lunch making the night before. I like being in the kitchen while they are packing their lunch because it really opens up GREAT dialogue about food: What is a protein? What is healthy? Why don't we get dessert every day? What is the healthiest thing to drink? How much is too much? What is a serving? How much sugar does that have?






0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails