
As women and mothers, there are loads of things to do -- frankly too many things to do. Calendars are seemingly always full and "To Do" lists are endless. Then, there are the "unexpected" events that seems to throw many of us off our routine: kids are sick, you are sick, husband is sick (that's the worst one!), in-laws are in town, job change, moving, demanding job, too many kids, new baby, teenagers, home repairs, law school, I've even been told grocery shopping!
"My life is just crazy right now, I can't fit it [meaning exercise, nutrition, healthy living] in. After X, Y, and Z are over, then I'll start it back up."
And, guess what? The X, Y, and Z's come and go -- and there's 23 more things on your list! All those many things demanding your time are not out of the ordinary -- THAT IS YOUR LIFE. They are not and will not go away.
So, that is the secret to success when it comes to fitness and health:
(drumroll please!)
(drumroll please!)
Exercise and healthy eating are NON-NEGOTIABLE ITEMS.
My father is a lawyer and I heard the phrase "Mandi, this is a non-negotiable item" when I tried to weasle my way out of work, cleaning, studying, basically anything hard or responsible. And when he said it, he meant it. It was law.
I have noticed a definite pattern in those I meet. Those who make exercise a non-negotiable item are the ones who are off the weight loss roller coaster. They are at the gym everyday like clockwork. They are never on or off a diet. They just eat well every day.

So, as I like to say: decide to decide. Make a contract with yourself with exercise and eating right as non-negotiable items. Despite what crops up that day (because you can guarantee it will!), you will still get a workout in and eat right. Period. You will do this because it is part of who you are. It is non-negotiable. It is law. You know it. Your husband knows it. Your kids know it.
The beautiful side effect of living this "secret" is that despite your laundry list of "To-Do's" that day, when you take control of this area of your life, all those things will be easier to accomplish and your mindset will be more positive when doing them. You can take things in stride as they are thrown at you and things seem easier. SWEET!

3 comments:
Mandi, you'd be proud of me. I had grocery shopping yesterday and today and yet I exercised ... HARD!!
YAHOO!
Great post! Loved the "non-negotiable" thing. And might I just say, my knee is doing so much better! I've actually exercised every day this week!
Post a Comment