My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://www.trainermomma.com
and update your bookmarks.

Thursday, November 11, 2010

Traditional Meatloaf

OK, I will admit I am not a big meatloaf fan.  However, my father loves this comfort food, and the Doc inhales it, so it does get made once a month or so.  I love see the look on their faces when I tell them its a meatloaf night :)

PA120013


Traditional Meatloaf
by www.trainermomma.com

Meatloaf:
1 lb ground beef, very lean
2 slices of whole wheat bread, diced up very small
2 eggs
3/4 cup skim milk
2-4 Tb sprinkle dried onions
2-3 Tb sprinkle parsley
1/4 tsp sage
1 tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper
3/4 - 1 cup grated vegetable (sweet potato, butternut squash, zucchini, yellow squash, or finely cut spinach are all my favs)


Topping:
1/4 c ketsup, reduced sodium and no HFCS
2 Tb brown sugar
1 tsp dried mustard (yellow mustard can substitute)


Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

In a large bowl mix the above ingredients with your hands.  Put in a loaf pan and cook for 50 minutes.

While you are waiting mix up topping in a small bowl.  Remove from oven and pour off grease.  Spread topping over top of the meatloaf.

Cook for 10 more minutes.

Makes 8 large slices.  178 calories per slice.

For a printable version of this recipe, click here.

Like this?  Want more?  Subscribe to Trainer Momma's RSS feed by clicking here.  Thanks!

3 comments:

Allison said...

I always love your ideas of what to serve with the main dishes. Just curious...what are your suggestions to complete this meal? Thanks!!

Trainer Momma said...

We coupled this with a big monstrous green salad chalk full of all kinds of vegetables for me :) Really, I am not a big meat fan, but will eat a little on the side of my salad.

This would also go great with any kind of steamed vegetable. Broccoli, squash, green beans -- take your pick.

And of course some kind of fruit. Homemade whole wheat bread is a staple for the kids and topped off with skim milk or water.

Dani Spies said...

I've got your meatloaf in the oven right now... smells great! Unlike yourself, I'm a big meatloaf fan and man, I can't wait for dinner:)

Related Posts with Thumbnails