I pull this one out of the fridge at home all the time. It's typically when my family has spaghetti with meat sauce, and I'm not too hip on all the calories the whole wheat spaghetti is going to add to my plate. So, I substitute some type of vegetable. You name it: zucchini, spaghetti squash, broccoli, cauliflower. Anything works. Then, I can get some more vegetables in, some protein, a filling dinner, and not so many heavy calories.
Pasta (Without the Pasta) Dinner
by www.trainermomma.com
1 lb lean ground turkey or beef
32 oz jar of marinara sauce (I've been using Classico Tomato Basil lately)
parmesan cheese, shredded
vegetable of your choice (zucchini, yellow squash, spaghetti squash, broccoli, cauliflower, eggplant, etc.)
seasoning blend
Brown up the meat and drain off the remaining liquid. Add a jar of your favorite marinara sauce.
Steam up loads of vegetables and fill up your plate/bowl. Season to taste. Top with 1/2 cup of the meat sauce and 1 Tb of the parmesan cheese.
Around 200 - 220 calories depending on what your vegetable is.
For a printable version of this recipe, click here.
Like this? Want more? Subscribe to Trainer Momma's RSS feed by clicking here. Thanks!


4 comments:
Genious idea, my pasta loving family will love this because mom will have a better alternative and make pasta for them a little more.
I have that meal all of the time. So tasty!
This looks great!
And you were very brave to ask the Chef for something special.
Zucchini squash has been my pasta for the past year. I usually roast it for 15 minutes with a bit of olive oil, sliced mushrooms, oregano and garlic salt before topping with 1/2 cup of marinara sauce and roasted chicken. I also like to use Spaghetti Squash sometimes instead of Zucchini.
Post a Comment