It really is quite amazing, really.
It houses what makes us “us” -- our thoughts and dreams, enables us to make memories, have meaningful experiences, and develop worthwhile relationships. It is a complex gift that asks for only one simple thing:
CARE.
The interesting thing is, in this world of use-it-up-and-throw-it-out, this is the only body we get. There is no such thing as disposable bodies and there are no trade-ins. Although at times we feel perhaps we got a jalopy Ford Pinto versus our neighbor’s sleek Porche model -- it is what it is. We work with what we’ve got and it will pay us back in huge dividends on a daily basis.
So, why do we at times - - or maybe all the time -- go to extremes when it comes to caring for ourselves? It seems to be everywhere lately:
Fad diets.
Binging.
Starving.
Health trends.
Gorging.
Sedentary lifestyles.
Injury due to overtraining.
Purging.
On one hand, we take advantage of our bodies by giving it diets of unlimited soda, cheese-crusted pizza and white chocolate macadamia nut cheesecake. We don’t exercise very often, if at all. Then, we don’t like the result. We have no energy, have extra weight, perhaps our bodies are rebelling and not functioning smoothly like the good ole' days. We feel like we want to stay in our house since there’s really no clothes that fit anymore anyway. So then what do we do?
Swing the pendulum to the other extreme.
We determine that no matter what we will get this weight off. Whatever it takes. Starve ourselves. Skip meals. Take shots or drops instead of food. Pop pills that make us go running to the bathroom and have to change our pants a few times a day. Punish our bodies by withholding essential nutrients, vitamins and minerals. OK, perhaps we did lose a few - or a lot - of pounds. But what have we learned?
Nothing.
After trying either or both of these lifestyles, what lifelong habits can we take and use on a long term basis? Nothing. Nada. We just swing from one extreme to the other, never moving forward, just side to side. Then, inevitably, after our body has endured all the abuse it can handle, we start stumbling backwards.
We do this over and over.
I am a declared moderationist (I made that word up). I advocate a pleasant, safe, smart, right down the middle approach.
It’s just the basics:
Move
Move enough. Move often. Challenge your body. Workout smart, not just hard.
Eat well
Eat nutrient dense foods. Eat real food. Eat lots of plants. Eat often. Drink tons of water.
Rest
Go to bed. Take a nap. Give your body time to restore and recover.
I know, I know -- there are a tsunami of excuses. After using all of them, I stubbornly come back to the same place:
The moderate middle.
Instead going months at a time eating only 500 calories or binging on 3,000 calorie meals, how about we just eat a moderate, reasonable 1,500 - 1,800 calories all year round? Of course, treating ourselves when appropriate, reducing calories when needed -- but overall being smart, kind, and just plain nice to our bods.
Taking care of the bodies by utilizing the basics, we nurture, not punish our bodies. That's the least we can do for such an amazing gift.
Hey Fit Mommas -- what you do think about why we tend to go to extremes? Have you found a comfortable place in the healthy middle ground? Comment below and tell us WHAT WORKS.
Related Posts:
Fad Diets -- The Gig Is Up
Health Trends Drive Me Nuts
The Tree: Essentials of Fitness
Like this? Want more? Subscribe to Trainer Momma's RSS feed by clicking here. Thanks!


12 comments:
Thanks. I needed to hear that today.
This is why I love your blog. I have a fairly stable body image for the most part and haven't ever really struggled with weight in any major way, but I am always exercising somehow and I try to eat more healthy than unhealthy. It kills me to see some of my close friends that do the yo-yo thing...I can't imagine eating 500 calories a day, but they've done it. I wish I could be more helpful to them, but other than pass along your blog I pretty much just listen because according to them, "I don't get it". That's fine with me. I'm really hoping I can pass along good habits to my kids especially my dd--she'll be a tough one though since she's a sugar craver!
I think the reason why I go to the extreme, mostly the eat junkish food, and a lot of it, is because I get the "I want it now" syndrome. When I want something now, then I will not really think about the consequences of my actions until they already hit. Its a continual process of working on it and becoming better.
ive never really been one to go from one extreme to the other--what's worked for me is like you said consistency--i kind of keep it plain and boring BUT leave the weekends for FUN including GOOD GRUBBING!!! balance in all things right?
I use Nuriche to get my 5 servings of fruits & veggies everyday--I take it twice so I get 10.
I then eat protein bar-hit the gym guzzle water.
Nuriche/Protein shake.
Salad or Soup or something healthy yummy lunchy.
String cheese, popcorn small healthy snack
Dinner--kids sized plate
I DO need to be WAY better about water though--dangt why cant i just be perfect! HA
i do have LOTS of friends that have done the HGC diet and have been successful--to each their own i guess? We'll see if the weight comes back or what happens--im just grateful i dropped my weight they healthy simple way.
You are right, Alisa. This is a process. We all fall of the wagon occasionally. I just hope we can get back on the moderation track -- not the crazy, extreme ones.
I love the tone of this post, Mandi. As a self-proclaimed foodie, moderation is really hard for me. I love food and I love to cook. I especially love to bake and that's where I get into lots of trouble... And like any good Texan, I learned to cook from my mom and grandmother, wonderful women who love their families with food. My biggest struggle is moderating my love of food and cooking with principles of good nutrition.
Thanks for this post. I needed it.
Let it be known that Kara IS am amazing cook. WHOA.
{blushing} awww shucks... Thanks, Mandi. :)
I love your blog! Thanks so much for this post. Our bodies really are amazing and they are so easily taken for granted. I am trying to create a healthy consistent lifestyle that consists in moderation in all things! I've done the yo-yo thing in the past and it just doesn't make me happy. So thanks for your wonderful posts! They help give me encouragement and motivation in this new lifestyle (which I am loving, btw)
Amen and amen! What a great post. I want to read it daily. So true.
Thank You! I needed to hear this today! I am constantly re-evaluating what moderation IS. I love eating healthy, love working out but I am constantly trying to lose weight. While I don't go from one extreme to another I do tend to stray a little. I get discouraged with the scale, so I push myself a little harder, try new food plans . . . and when that doesn't work, I get burned out and head for the ice cream! Thanks for reminding me to love the body I've been given! I think the hardest things for me are getting enough sleep/rest and drinking enough water . . . ugh!
Ahhhh...moderation! It's such an amazing place to be. It was a long road getting here, but now that I've arrived I am so much happier and so much more thankful for this body I have. Sure, it isn't perfect, and it probably never will be, but I've learned to treat it kindly and you know what, it's kind to me in return! Moderation and hard work are so much more lasting and meaningful than the extreme, get-my-results-now-diets. I think our addiction to instant gratification fuels nearly every other addiction there is in this world. When we're patient and consistent, that is when true learning and growth take place. Thank you for this post!
Post a Comment