I live close to the hill country. I had no idea what that was until we drove into town pulling a U-Haul behind my minivan. Literally -- rolling hills. And trees. Lots of trees. And green! Oh, the green was overwhelming for this desert dweller.
I did learn quickly that rolling hills also translated to no mountains. Although I miss my Camelbacks and Squaw Peaks (oops! I mean Piestewa Peak. I must be PC) -- I have come to appreciate these rolling hills.
This also means there are a few kid-friendly hikes nearby.
Although this trail has a paved road, we opt for the natural trails. Now that my kids are a little older I've ditched the strollers and baby backpacks and make them use their own two feet. The little one is not too sure about this, but with some prodding (a several piggy back rides from mom), he can hang with the big kids.
With very little planning and a backpack filled with TONS of water and food, a family hike is the perfect way to get out of the house, burn of some energy, kill a morning, and enjoy the cooler weather.
Kids:
Hikers.
Adventure heros.
Discoverers.
Water guzzlers.
Biologists.
Ninjas.
| Look at those red cheeks -- how could I say no? |
Mom:
Caterer.
Wrangler.
Pack mule.
Cheerleader.
Hey, Fit Mommas! Now that fall has arrived (insert singing angel chorus here), what are you doing to GET OUT? Comment below and tell us WHAT WORKS!
A few sites to get your family on the trail:


0 comments:
Post a Comment