My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://www.trainermomma.com
and update your bookmarks.

Friday, October 1, 2010

Fit Momma Question: How Much Stretching?

Fit Momma Gabby sent in this question:

How much stretching do I really need to do?  How long?  I know I'm neglecting this part of my workout but it seems soo looong and by the time I end my workout I really need to get back to my family.

yoga stretch


For many of us, just getting the workout in is reason enough for a nomination for Mother of the Year award.  Most days it is a monumental effort.  How in the heck are we supposed to fit in yet another few minutes for the stretching? I am admittedly am a bare-bones stretcher due to my very tight time schedule (and the gaggle of mouths needing to be fed at home) and definitely have room for improvement in this area.

For a busy mom, I suggest stretching after a 5 minute cardio warm-up.  I do an abbreviated version of the Stretching Routine I posted yesterday:

Hug Yourself
Quads
Hamstrings
Favorite Stretch Ever
(view video to see what I'm referring to)

I hold each stretch for about 20 seconds, then move on. That's it.  It takes me all of 90 - 120 seconds.

After my workout, I either stick around for about 3-5 minutes to do the entire Stretching Routine or I do it at home. My electronic tooth brush has a 2 minute timer on it and I can regularly be found stretching my hamstrings and quads while working on my oral hygiene.

 Nothing like multi-tasking, yes?

Once or twice a week I have a good friend at the gym REALLY stretch me out. We’re talking intense, breath-through-it-lamaze-style-breathing stretching.  It takes about 5 minutes and she stretches the tar out of me.  I love it :)

If I am REALLY on the ball, I'll throw yoga in on my recovery workout day (Thursday) and then I feel like a million bucks.

I really think as we age we need to add even more stretching into our workout routines.  I know that, believe that, but I haven't done it yet.

You are right, Gabby.  Time is a major issue for busy women  and right now this is the best I can do.

Hey, Fit Mommas.  How do you workout stretching into your workout?  Is it a struggle to find the time? Comment below and let us know WHAT WORKS!

Thanks for the question!  Shoot any my way -- I love this stuff!

Like this?  Want more?  Subscribe to Trainer Momma's RSS feed by clicking here.  Thanks!

8 comments:

Tassi Smith said...

At our local Y there are great yoga classes held at 7:30PM. I work it out with Brandon to finish the bedtime routine so I can be on time. I am loving that time I am stretched and can still get an intense workout.

stacie said...

POWER YOGA! You just have to make time for it. I have a Bryan Kest Power Yoga dvd that I love and I've tried a few on exercise tv lately, Yoga Works Body Slim and Jillian Michaels Yoga Meltdown. I know this helps me run better and helped with marathon recovery! Strength and stretching!

Trainer Momma said...

Oooo. It's been a few years since I've done yoga with Bryan. Really, I need yoga at least once a week -- actually more than that but that's all I seem to be able to fit in right now.

Yoga is delicious (and hard).

Gabriela Hull said...

Thanks, Mandi!
I'm currently training for a half-marathon so I have been diligent about stretching after my runs; I don't want any injuries. Now I have to transfer some of that into my non- running days!

I'm going to give yoga another try. I've done some of the yoga in
P90X but I never quite understood why it's "delicious.":)
I must be doing something wrong.:(
If it helped Stacie with her running, maybe it can help me, too.

Thanks!

the Villamor's said...

i never stretched in my 20s but now am a big advocate for stretching-always encouraging my participants to stay for the stretches at the end of class...something I never did before!! A few days a week I stretch while watching TV in the evenings for about20 minutes. My favorites are anything dealing with the low back, hips and hamstrings....if I can keep those limber I stay moving!!!

I make all the new people in yoga feel like pros...i make up my own modifications and have to use the straps and blocks and...it isn't pretty but I get stretched!! ha

Josee said...

Love your dad stretching routine lol
I read somewhere to look at the animal for a lot of thing we forget to do.
I have 3 cats and after they get up from a deep slumber they always stretch. No mather what. I have tried to do the same just before I get up and start my day. At least I have a few minutes to myself at that time :)

Anonymous said...

static stretching on its own is old school and not effective at injury prevention and useful only if your goal is increasing your range of motion - IMO dynamic stretching is the way to go before and after exercise to increase range of motion and prevent injury

Rae said...

I stretch before my workouts. In my Boot Camp class my one instructor stretches us at the beginning, the other doesn't. So on those days I go a littl early to stretch. Then we stretch after all of my classes. I also stretch before and after my runs. I think I'm doing pretty well because back when I was younger, I'd skip the stretching at the beginning of my workout videos so I'd get done quicker. :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails