My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://www.trainermomma.com
and update your bookmarks.

Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Bringing Snacks for the Class

Johnny Scott was the revered"Class Leader" yesterday for his Teddy Bear class at preschool. We've been counting down the days on his Teddy Bear calendar until the big day.  Be bounded out of the bed and got dressed in a flash (this boy was made for preschool).

P9190156


He had four ultra important responsibilities as the Class Leader:

1.  Feed Swimmy (the class fish).
2.  Be the line leader.
3.  Hold the blue horse (I have no idea what this means...  I will have to ask the teacher about this one).
4.  Bring the snack for the class.

Now, typically, you will find me on mornings when I have to provide snacks doing one of two things:

Digging in the back of my pantry for something -- ANYTHING -- I have enough of to feed the class.

OR

Realizing I do not have enough snacks for the class and making an emergency run to the grocery store with all the kids before school starts.

However, since Johnny Scott had been reminding me of this day for about 3 weeks solid, I did not have a chance to forget this time.  Thank you, son.

This is our opportunity to fill these kid’s tummies with some real food that will help them get through the next few hours without having a melt down.

I try to send in a few things (usually 2) my kiddo really likes, has some kind of protein, and has some kind of fiber. Scooby Do Snacks, Doritos, and Fruit Snacks do not make the cut.

I have noticed more parents are making a concerted effort to bring healthier snacks.  It is a comfort to me to know other parents want the same thing for their kids I do.  Thank you, fellow parents.

Some of my simple, healthy class snacks I’ve been seeing are:

light fruit cups (Johnny Scott's top pick recently)
small apples
apple slices
mandarin oranges
grapes, sliced of course
raisin boxes
craisin boxes
string cheese
cheese cubes
baby carrots
snap peas
ranch dressing
hummus
Kashi cereal bars and granola bars
homemade granola bars
applesauce, unsweetened
yogurt
healthy cereals, Puffins and Shredded Oats are our current favorites

One of the best developments in regards to class snacks I’ve seen over the past several years I’ve been involved with young children are these insulated bags. BRILLIANT!  This opens up a whole new world when it comes to sending in snacks. Just throw an ice pack in there and you can send in fruit, yogurts, cheeses, etc. Why didn’t we do this sooner?  These are about $2.00 at the local grocery store or found on Amazon, and are very durable.

P9190160


P9190161

** I'm sure I don't need to remind you there are all kinds of restrictions now a days. At our elementary school, we cannot bring in homemade snacks -- Heaven forbid I bring in a homemade muffin, but Chips Ahoy are fine. Go figure. Also, we have the whole peanut allergy issue that needs to be taken seriously.

So, just keep these boundaries in mind and go to town.

What are you favorite, healthy snacks to send with the kiddos to school?  Comment below and tell us WHAT WORKS!

Related Posts:
Summer Time Snacks for Kids
Lunch Ideas
Fruit Snacks

Like this?  Want more?  Subscribe to Trainer Momma's RSS feed by clicking here.  Thanks!

5 comments:

Charlotte said...

Great tip on the insulated bag!! I always struggle with what to send for my kids' snack days, esp. since one son is in a peanut-free, dairy-free, egg-free, wheat-free room. (I know, what's left??)

the Villamor's said...

great ideas! i tried to send in healthier stuff when they were younger and their classes were smaller.... it would be expensive to send those delicious snacks for a class of 26! (4th graders) Isn't it crazy all the restrictions and guidelines...although if my kid had any kind of allergy I would be grateful for the extra precaution!

Tiffany said...

Today was my 5 year old's day to bring snacks to kindergarten. We bought a HUGE organic farm fresh melon on Saturday. I sent half of it to school today and a cereal and raisin trail mix that I threw together last night.

Kali said...

Your little guy is WAY cute btw! :)

the mrs. said...

Thank you for the ideas!
We "get" to bring in snack for a week for the whole PreK class when it's our turn. You've helped me out a bunch.

Related Posts with Thumbnails