My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://www.trainermomma.com
and update your bookmarks.

Monday, August 16, 2010

Steel Cut Oatmeal

This has been a relatively new discovery for me.  I am a texture eater through and through, so a bowl of chewy, nutty steel cut oats is one of my favs.

P6270136


Steel Cut Oatmeal
by www.trainermomma.com

1/4 cup steel cut oats 
1 1/2 cups water or skim milk
dash of cinnamon
dash of nutmeg

In a large, microwaveable bowl, mix the oats, water, and spices.  Zap in the microwave for 5 minutes on full power.

Remove from microwave and stir.  Put back in the microwave for 5 minutes and cook for another 5 minutes.

I like to sweeten with stevia, berries, bananas, or other fruits.  I also top it with about 1/4 cup of skim milk to cool it off.

172 calories if made with water and topped with a bit of milk (not including fruit).
285 calories if made with skim milk.

For a printable version of this recipe, click here.


Like this?  Want more?  Subscribe to Trainer Momma's RSS feed by clicking here.  Thanks!

12 comments:

Magic Brush said...

whats the difference between rolled oats and steel oats? I do the rolled and put tons of cinnomon and raisins in it....yummmmm

Vennesa said...

I've looked at Walmart and my local grocery store and can't find steel cut oats. Where do you buy them?

Trainer Momma said...

Venessa -- I just put a link on the steel cut oats that leads to a great deal on Amazon. $.11 per oz!

Trainer Momma said...

Check out the Three Oatmeal Beauties post from today to explain the diffrence. I love the rolled oats and steel cut.

Vennesa said...

Thanks! I just bought them.

Trainer Momma said...

Sweet. Glad that worked out :)

Kali said...

Steel cut oats are SO good in a crock pot! Just google some recipes!

Sheree said...

For some reason this didn't work in my microwave. But I put it in the pressure cooker for 12 minutes and it was perfect. I made enough for the kids too, and it was very easy.

Thanks!

Trainer Momma said...

I find that it really does depend on your brand of oats. I love the crock pot and pressure cooker ideas. Some Christmas I'm going to find a pressure cooker under the tree with my name on it.

Vennesa said...

I've heard that you can also make these oats in a rice cooker (on the porridge setting.)

Lori said...

Trader Joe's sells quick cooking steel cut oats. They shave a little time off the prep.

Debra Lynn said...

Since I pretty much eat oatmeal every day, I like to make a week's worth at one time; then portion it out to store in the fridge. It makes life a lot easier when I get ready for work in the morning!

Related Posts with Thumbnails