My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://www.trainermomma.com
and update your bookmarks.

Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Have You Tried This? Body Pump

Now you know by now that I am a huge cheerleader of weight lifting.  Old, young, athlete and couch potato alike all need to be lifting weights.

Although I prefer to lift weights solo in a gym setting,  I am very interested in programs that encourage women to pick up the weights and pump some iron. A friend of mine invited me to go to a Les Mills Body Pump class.

Who the heck is Les Mills?
Les Mills is pretty much taking the group fitness scene by storm across the country.  The interesting thing with the Les Mills program is that if you were to go to another Body Pump class across the country, you’d get the same music and the same workout. Les Mills comes out with new music and new moves for all their classes every 3 months and is very rigid about who can teach what and when.They have figured out how to make a bucketload of money while providing a quality workout.

Equipment


body pump


a bar
plates
clips
a step with risers

Music
If there is one thing that will drive me out the door of a group class it is bad music. The looping of the same, monotonous beat of a synthesizer for an entire hour is maddening to me.  The music is one of the strengths of the Les Mills’ programs. Luckily, this class used REAL music with an easy beat. I could sing along to a few songs -- I was sold.

Body Pump Class - 3


Workout
The workout started with an easy warm up. For the next 50 minutes or so the instructor took us through an entire body workout from top to bottom and then again. It was very structured, very simple.  It is nothing crazy;  just the basics with a few twists.  It gave me a solid weight lifting workout.


Go often!
This class, like all weight lifting, needs to be done 2-3 times a week. Every day is overkill (you’ve got to let the muscles recover!) and once a week isn’t going to get you the results and benefits you are looking for.

Push Yourself!
Another thing, be sure to challenge yourself. This class, and other weight lifting classes, uses high repetitions, thus the weights need to be slightly lower. But not too low! That is a serious pet peeve of this personal trainer about group classes in general: we don’t push ourselves hard enough. Again, in order to get the results you are seeking, don’t be afraid to up the weights after a few classes are under your belt.

Body Pump Class - 2


The Best Thing I Saw
It was a glorious sight:  all these women (and a few men) who perhaps were a little timid or lost in the weight room and they now were throwing up shoulder presses! Squats! Tricep extentions!

That vision alone made this trainer’s heart soar!

If your gym offers a Body Pump or weight lifting classes -- give them a try!  You'll get some instruction, a full workout, and maybe even get lucky to score some good music :)

Related Posts:
Lean, Mean, Calorie Burnin' Machine
More "Have You Tried This?"  Posts

Hey, Fit Mommas!  I know there are lot of you out there who take group weight lifting classes or even Body Pump classes.  Why do you keep going back?  What results have you seen?

Like this?  Want more?  Subscribe to Trainer Momma's RSS feed by clicking here.  Thanks!

12 comments:

Molly said...

I've not taken Body Pump, but I have taken Body Combat, BodyStep, and BodyJam (my favorite). I've heard great things about Body Pump, but just haven't been able to make it.
Les Mills' Body Jam is a hip hop cardio dance class and is sooooo fun.

Brittany Arnett said...

I love Body Pump! It's at the YMCA so I thought I would try it out one morning and it's definitely the music that sold me too. So great! But I can only fit it in once a week and I need to find another time when I can go. I'm sure the results would be even better. Since it's purely weight lifting for an hour, I do a little run before and it gets my sweating quicker. All in all, it's a blast!

Marie said...

I love body pump! I've been going to Les Mills classes for the past 3 years. (I also love body step, rpm, & body combat)

Jill said...

I did Body Pump for about a year before I got married and even the first few months of my first pregnancy. I've never been in better shape! I was more toned and wore smaller clothes than I had before or since.

I actually took my fiance with me once and he was so embarassed that I could lift more than him but I'd been doing it regularly and he hadn't! It killed him! He actually faked a phone call and cut out early!

Anonymous said...

I tried it a couple of months ago. It was fun and I actually surprised myself as I wasn't sure I could do it. Unfortunately they only offer it once a week at my gym.

The Chambers said...

LOVE these classes! they kick my butt. I created a class similar to this that I teach at a local gym, I called it Cardio Pump. It uses the same idea with the barbells and weights,etc. but it's fast paced and I use a lot of plyo moves. I think it's really fun!

Tori said...

Just found your blog!!!
FIToriBLOG.com
Facebook.com/FITori

Alicia said...

Hey Trainer Momma-

My daughter came home from school today very upset that she was the only one in the entire school who had a healthy lunch. Can you do a post on healthy food ideas to put in your childs lunch? Kind of like the post you did on the essentials of a salad.

the Villamor's said...

i was hoping you would try out a LEs MIlls class!! I have been teaching PUmp for a year and of course love it! I use to be a timid lifter but not anymore! It is also one of my pet peeves to see women(and it usually is women) lifting too little. We try to point out weight selection but you can always tell those who come to really workout. And yes the music is rockin'....if you liked Pump's music you should try another program! It just gets better!

Tomorrow I am actually taking part in an Advanced Instructor Module for Pump with the Susan Renata-one of the big dogs from New Zealand! Actually all of the big wigs are here in Atlanta to present this training(they are offering advanced training in all their programs) and for the Quarterly on Saturday...which is where we can go take all the Les MIlls classes from the masters with hundreds of other instructors! I am so very excited and have looked forward to this for MONTHS!

Brooke Low said...

I do "Group Power" here in Alaska which is similar to Body Pump. I absolutely love this class. I have always struggle with weight training and this was my answer!

The Maxsons said...

I LOVE BODY PUMP. So much that, true confession, I want to teach it someday. Love the music, love the challenge, its the best. The gym that we would do BP at for a few years closed a while back, so we've been at 24 hour fitness since then, and they just got BP. Unfortunately they only offer one class, on a thurs eve. Trying to talk them in to some 9 AM classes for all of us mommies. I would be their best advertiser. Wish they'd listen to me! Yea for BP.

Kelly said...

None of our gyms have a Body Pump. I miss it! Love the music too!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails