My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://www.trainermomma.com
and update your bookmarks.

Friday, August 27, 2010

Fit Momma Question: How To Not Overeat?

I've gotten emails from several Fit Mommas this week about the same topic:

My question for you is how do you stop yourself from over-eating?


Chocolate stack
This is a downright cruel picture, I know.
I apologize.


There were two inevitable scenarios that I used to DREAD in my pre-healthy life:

Scenario #1
 Someone so graciously would think of our family and bring over an entire plate of warm cookies.  Perfection.  The worst for me were the No-Bake Cookies -- you know the kind -- with cocoa, peanut butter, and oats.  OH MY, just kill me now.  Of course, I appreciated their thoughtfulness.  But, I HATED that once those cookies entered into my house they took the reigns and I knew I would be eating nearly every cookie myself.  

Scenario #2
 I would be doing great throughout the day.  I'd have a great workout, healthy breakfast, lunch, eat a snack -- THEN 3:30 PM would hit.  Once the minute hand hit that number, I felt every ounce of self control go flying out the window.  I ate everything in sight, ate dinner, then even more afterwards. I would scrounge for chocolate chips from the freezer and eat old candy I found at the back of the cupboard.  I have even eaten day-old-thrown-away cake from the garbage. Sick.  I could not stop.  I dreaded that time every day.  Then, when I went to bed that night with killer (and embarrassing) stomach pains, I'd vow I'd never do that again and the next day I'd be a saint.  

I went through these two scenarios week after week, day after day, over and over again.  I came to dread both of these situations so much because I lost control.  The food controlled me.

Things have changed significantly, thank goodness.  Now I am not professing to be totally in control 100% of the time, but I definitely have felt a shift of power around this place and over time.

Here are a few of my tried and true strategies:

Water
I must write this about once a week on TM -- because IT WORKS!   Drink water after every meal and snack.  Drink a gallon a day, I'm serious about this.  It is a huge appetite suppressant.  Once those cravings kick in, you'll find me downing yet another 24 oz of water.  Also, many of our hunger pangs are mistaken for thirst.  Always solve the water issue first before any food goes in your mouth.

Eat on a Schedule
Be sure you are eating at regular intervals every 3 to 4 hours.  That makes around 5-6 meals per day.  That will keep you blood sugar level, hunger at bay, and functioning at your peak all day.  I think there is a psychological angle here too.  If you are withholding food from yourself, eventually you are going to break and go nuts.  I've done it too many times.  However, when I am steadily and responsibly feeding myself healthy food and enough of it, the panic is erased and I am able to control my choices.

Eat Protein
Protein is a magic bullet when it comes to curbing your hunger.  If you are eating an apple, you need some nuts or string cheese to go with it.  If you are eating a piece of whole wheat bread, have a glass of milk or lean meat to go with it.  If there is a salad or soup, there needs to be some beans, fish, tofu, or lean meat on or in it. (Those last sentences sound like a mother's version of that If You Give a Mouse a Cookie book :) Every snack and meal should have some sort of protein.  This alone with curb your hunger pangs and get you through to the next meal or snack.

Gum
Sugar-free gum is another great way to tide you over until the next snack.  I pop a few pieces, especially in the late afternoon, a day just to keep my mouth busy and to get a shot of sweet.

Crystal Light
I know, I know -- artificial sweeteners and all.  You need to know, however, that in reasonable quantities, a bit of it has been proven to be just fine.  When I'm needing sugar, and trust me sometimes I just do, a huge, cold glass of this really hits the spot and I'm set until dinner.

Eat!
If you are truly dying, really starving -- then chomp on some veggies or fruit.  Often when I give myself that option, I realize I'm not actually hungry, I'm just bored, emotional, etc.  Or if I am TRULY hungry, an apple or some baby carrots taste great (with a little hummus of course!).

The key here is to choose foods that are nutrient dense -- foods packed with the good stuff (vitamins, minerals, fiber, protein, etc.).  When we load up on nutrient empty foods, it is simply empty calories that are going fuel the craving fire, not fill us up, and it is all down hill from there.  Stick with the good stuff.

Get Outta There
This is one battle mothers constantly face:  we work where the food is.  Sometimes, the only thing that works for me is to LEAVE THE HOUSE.  I run some errands, go for a walk with the kids, visit a friend, even just sit outside so I can't hear that persistant kitchen calling my name.

Cheat
I have a designated cheat meal once a week.  This is all a mind game.  I know it's coming, so when that plate of No-Bake Cookies passes from their hands to mine -- I typically can either pass them up or just stop at one since I know I can eat the rest of the stinkin' plate in a few days (which I have done, BTW.  Yep, I've stashed stuff away and feasted later.  It's a letdown, let me tell you).  Nevertheless, I know I'm not deprived of anything.  But I have decided when I am eating those cookies and suddenly they lost their control over me.

Accept It
I'm just going to be honest with you...  Sometimes we are hungry.  Those diets that claim -- "I lost 57 lbs in 4 weeks and I was never hungry!" -- all I can say is YEAH RIGHT.  I've lost a lot of weight in my time, and I'm telling you sometimes I am just hungry.

The trick is not to panic.  Acknowledge it calmly -- "OK, I'm hungry."   If you are due to eat soon, then great, hold out for that.  If not, have 24 oz of water, pop in some gum, and keep yourself nice and busy until your next time to eat.

Just remember:  

You control the food.
It does not control  you.

Hey, Fit Mommas, what strategies do you use to tame those cravings?  Comment below and tell us WHAT WORKS!

Related Posts:
Water
On the Clock
Slay the Beast
SWEET!  A Little Controversy Never Hurt Anyone
Do You Ever Cheat?
More "Fit Momma Questions" Posts

I am loving the questions, my friends!  Please send them my way.  I don't sew, don't scrapbook, don't quilt -- this is what I do :)  I will return your email ASAP.  Contact me here.

Like this?  Want more?  Subscribe to Trainer Momma's RSS feed by clicking here.  Thanks!

7 comments:

Alisa J said...

Awesome post by the way. I have been struggling with this AGAIN. So glad for the reminder.

rach said...

I agree with Alisa.

I just have to say that I love your writing. You have the perfect way of putting things, and I appreciate all your research on the subject because I feel like you are always right on. Thanks for keeping up your blog. It's a great motivation for healthy, happy living.

Kali said...

Ditto to the above "rach"....just want to add I'm still waiting for your hummus recipe! :)

Trainer Momma said...

You all are too kind. Thanks for making my lonely Friday night bring (the Doc is working, surprise, surprise!).

Ah! Hummus. It is on the list, I swear. I even have the tahini and red roasted peppers in the pantry. I just have to do it!

On My Fitness Journey said...

Great post and one of the things I love about your blog is that it is real. I lost 60 pounds before I had kids - and need to do it again.I know when I lost the weight there were moments of hunger and I had to deal with it. However, I struggle with this portion specifically on the weekends. During the week I work so I have somewhat of a schedule, but on the weekend it is like party time.

Stacy of KSW said...

You have no idea how much I needed thsi post right now :) My pre-dinner scarf downs are sabotaging all of my hard work & I'm sick of it! Printing this out & plastering it all over the web right now!

the mrs. said...

This is a huge struggle for me, too.
Thanks for the post.

Related Posts with Thumbnails