I had a surgery last week and was told by my doctor that I was to not exercise (especially no weights) for 6 weeks! Gasp! I am worried that everything is going to go flabby!!! What do you recommend for a situation like mine?
So, you’ve been plugging away at the gym, eating right at home, and things are finally clicking! Then -- BAM! -- one of the many Mack trucks of life comes barreling down and knocks you off your course. It happens to all of us, the difference is Fit Momma’s know how to deal with it.
When this has happened to me, I become uncharacteristically analytical and recognize my two options:
Option 1
I can wallow in self-pity, drown myself in Jamoca Almond Fudge Ice Cream from Baskin Robbins three times a day, and sit in front of the computer Hulu-ing all the shows I’ve missed the past 10 years.
Option 2
I can realize that this is just a season, embrace the forced rest, and catch up on all the scrapbooking I’ve ignored for the past decade. Yes, I still do go to the gym, put the kids in childcare for an hour while I sit and read a delicious book. Mmm... BLISS :)
Don't stress about your workouts right now. They will be there when you need them. Your body has just undergone something MAJOR so to put some effort into recovering is very wise. I always suggest following the doctor’s orders. If he says rest for 6 weeks, by all means rest for 6 weeks.
A few more ideas:
Walk
If you are allowed to walk, then do it! The Doc tells me that surgeons always encourage getting up and walking ASAP. That, of course, is if it is a smart move (Foot surgery? Um, probably not).
Cut Back
Reduce your calories. I know, leaving the Jamoca Almond Fudge at Baskin Robbins will be a challenge, but worth it. I don’t suggest counting calories right now, you’ll just end up in the nut house. Just eat real food: soups, salads, fruits, lean protein, and enough fiber. The good stuff.
Drink your water!
Enough said.
Don't rush.
Unless you are competing for the Miss America pageant next month, time is on your side. Find comfort in the the fact that you know what do to to get in shape, stay in shape, or lose weight, etc. You just can't do it all right now. Ease into it according to the schedule prescribed to you.
Look Ahead
And most of all: don’t be scared to start over again when the time is right. Look forward to it! Most likely your body will be new and improved (hopefully!), so there is much to look forward to.
**What about you, Fit Mommas? How have handled your recovery periods and stayed sane? Comment below, por favor. We have much to learn from you!
For an ever growing archive of Fit Momma Questions, click here.
Thanks for your for all of your questions and ideas -- I love this stuff! Contact me here anytime.
Like this? Want more? Subscribe to Trainer Momma's RSS feed by clicking here. Thanks!


5 comments:
Great POST!
I had knee surgery 3 weeks ago and have another 3 weeks before I get the green light to do whatever excercise I want to do. I also had 4 weeks from injury to surgery that I wasn't very active. I made a big mistake of continuting and eating like I was eating when I was active and working out 5-6 days a week for 1-4 hrs (training) after a week I realized the calories had to be cut and had to increase my water consumption. And like you said low resistance workouts... I agree with you that I rather have 3 more weeks of low activity then risking and hurting my knee again.
Right on with your post :)
Gentle yoga was my go-to after surgeries and c-sections. Not a calorie burner, but definitely kept me feeling fit and positive.
I heart you Mandi :). I heart you.
One thing I've done when "out of commission" is I get a few exercise related magazines--like runners world, triathlete mags, etc. and then i can vicariously work out by looking at fit people doing the things i love! it is good motivation and makes me remember, "i can't wait to do that again" and know i will be able to. i also think, work the "other" parts of the body that aren't affected by surgery. you can sit in a chair and lift light weights for 20 mins or so... as long as its *something*, you will feel so much better and feel like you still "worked out". its such a mental game! :)
great info, thanks once again, trainermomma!
Post a Comment