My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://www.trainermomma.com
and update your bookmarks.

Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Spinach Barley Salad

Hhhmmm.  I have not made up my mind about this one.  I love all the ingredients, but was wanting a bit more punch of flavor.  I get really sick of meat day after day, so I like the idea of using barley in a salad.   The barley really did fill me up and added a bit of protein.

Try it for yourself.  I'm curious to see what you think.


Spinach Barley Salad
by www.trainermomma.com
by Women's Health Magazine, April 2010

4 cups quick-cooking barley
3 Tb red-wine vinegar
1/2 tsp Dijon mustard
2 Tb olive oil
1/4 cup Gorgonzola cheese (stinky cheese!  Love it!)
6 cups baby spinach leaves, shredded
1/4 cup sliced red onion
2 Tb toasted chopped walnuts

Cook barley according to package directions.  Which together vinegar and nustand.  Whisk in oil until well blended, then whisk cheese into the mixture.

Put barley into a serving bowl.  Add remaining ingredients, plus salt and pepper to taste.  Toss gently.  Stir in vinaigrette; cover and and chill for 30 minutes to allow flavors to mix.

Makes 4 servings.  330 calories.

For a printable version of this recipe, click here.

Like this?  Want more?  Subscribe to Trainer Momma's RSS feed by clicking here.  Thanks!

1 comments:

emily said...

That sounds like a variation on one of my favorite salads BUT I think you'll find that if you add some craisins, it makes the whole thing MUCH more exciting.

On a different note, I'd love to see a post on exercising during pregnancy aimed at those of us who were already pretty fit to begin with. Can you suggest exercises that we might sub in for things we can no longer do late in pregnancy (such as anything that involves lying flat on your back- like a bench press)?

Related Posts with Thumbnails