Have you signed up for the Trainer Momma GIVEAWAY of a
$100 gift card to Athleta.com?
I read in Time magazine a few months ago that exercise makes you fat. Then, just last week I read that women need 60 minutes of exercise a day in order to prevent weight gain as we age.
I was at a class this week where the instructor told me to never eat whole wheat bread before a workout, only white Wonder bread.
I was told recently that if I eat the peels of the apples I buy I am going to die an early death. I was instructed to peel all my apples before eating them, unless I buy organic produce exclusively.
I read on bottle that agave nectar, the newest sweetener, is the new Cinderella of the sugar industry. Then, I read an article that yells at me to avoid it like the plague.
I read that high fructose corn syrup has single handedly caused our nation to reach new levels of obesity. Yet, I just read an article from sparkpeople.com this week saying that it isn’t so bad.
I read that getting good, solid workout shoes it important. Now I’m told to get shoes that are round on the bottom, so I can rock my way to a rock solid behind.
Are you as confused as I am?
I am very skeptical when it comes to the latest health trends that are reported on the media and that are advertised in magazines, on television, and on blogs. I am reluctant to hop on band wagons. I have a tendency to sit back and wait to see if that wagon rolls off a cliff.
Now, I am the first person in line to tell me that my opinions and health practices are not perfect, I am not all knowing, and I still have a lot to learn. It is a bit comical to me to reflect on opinions I have had about exercise and food few years ago. Over time, experience, a little research, reading, and some education I have come full circle and changed my tune to several things.
Many of you email me questions about some things you've read or heard out there -- I LOVE IT. It keeps me on my toes and I have to respond with the occasional, "I don't know."
In a nutshell, I try to base my opinions and health habits on information based on real science and not just the latest gimmick that that is making someone money.
This is when my "It sounds too good to be true..." red flag gets raised:
"The medical establishment is against us!"
"The government is trying to suppress this breakthrough treatment!"
"I was near death until I took this pill and now I am an ultramarathoner!"
"Weight loss finally made easy!"
"Made with our secret formula from ancient times!"
"Watch our 30 minute infomercial!"
"Featured on Oprah!"
"Suzanne Somers uses it, so it must work!"
This all makes me tired.
Finding truth in all these health trends is a tricky business frankly because as the Doc likes to remind me, science is always discovering and changing. This can be a very good thing and it can be confusing.
When reading a health related article I use this 4 part "CARS" checklist:
Credibility
Mayor Shin from the Music Man said it best: “I need that man’s credentials!”
Accuracy
Is the info current, factual and comprehensive? Are there huge gaping holes where questions are ignored or unanswered? Are there sweeping generalizations?
Reasonableness
Is it balanced and rational? Is the author objective, or does he/she have an agenda, or product, to push?
Support
Are they legit? I want to see the supporting documentation for the scientific evidence cited.
I know we all come from different backgrounds and upbringings and in all reality, that has a lot to do with our health practices day to day. I only write this post to let you know my agenda in regards to Trainer Momma, the blog:
To provide you with practical, safe fitness and nutrition ideas.
To help you realize that fitness CAN fit into your crazy, busy life.
Eating right can be fast and tasty.
Being healthy can be a way of life, not just another diet to try.
When it is all said and done, I am a pretty moderate gal who just wants to be as healthy as I can using the limited time and money that I have. And I'm pretty sure you are too.

6 comments:
Thanks for this post! I took a class last year on research. How to do it and how to know what's legit, still there are so many contradictions out there I am grateful to have the knowledge from that.
I also took a class and read the book Biochemical Individuality. It was an eye opener in many ways.
The Biochemical Individuality book taught me that not everything is going to work for all people. I am much more open to people's eating 'styles' because I think that those that eat healthy whole foods will have the best health benefits, whether they choose vegetarian, omnivorous, raw, vegan etc...
Thanks again.. It's so true...
PS: I love my zumba shoes! I only wear them for zumba, you can get some great supportive shoes by Nike that are shocks with the circles.. or a dance shoe as well.
I totally agree with that idea -- Not everything is going to work for all people. Perfectly said!
it drives me crazy!! some people say this, some say that...sometimes i feel VERY overwhelemed....but then i just have to think that i'm doing the best i can and I CAN ONLY DO SO MUCH....
I read a lot about fitness and nutrition, but you know if something doesn't "sit right" with you. I thank you for this blog because it seems like you called me and asked me what I needed to hear. I love the blogs about what your kids eat- I use the ideas on my boys. It is about a healthy life for my family. So by the way I am on a personal mission to get all of my mommy friends here - we all need this.
Great post. I find all the contradictions very frustrating as well. The cardio debate especially drives me crazy! I printed out your post about being a "moderationist" and advocating what works because you are so right!
Everyone wants a magic bullet (including me) but in the end common sense wins. Keep up the great posts!
Those Zumba shoes look like my old Bloch jazz shoes back in my dancing days. Those feel great! I went to another Zumba the other day and my inner Chita Rivera returned once again. :)
Post a Comment