This is it!
The last hours of the Trainer Momma GIVEAWAY of a
The last hours of the Trainer Momma GIVEAWAY of a
Winner will be announced tomorrow...
Here goes a doosey of a post. This post has been bouncing around in my brain since the start of Trainer Momma. Cross your fingers. Make a wish. Here goes nothing.
This is a very simplified explanation of one of fitness’s favorite controversies:
Aerobic Exercise vs. Anaerobic Exercise
or
Cardio Zone vs. Fat Burning Zone
There is a TON of complicated science that goes into this issue, however, I am stripping it down to its bare bones and explaining what matters to us.
Let’s start with an analogy: You are a Toyota Prius. Hopefully the kind with brakes that work. Your body is a hybrid electric car.
Oh yeah.
That is you.
You are very cool.
You are driving around town, chillin’ like a dillin’ in your remarkably quiet, shiny Prius using battery power. This is all fine until you want to speed up and the electric power cannot cut it anymore. Since you are a Hybrid, and not a golf-cart, you are in luck! The gasoline kicks in and now you are using both functions simultaneously, the electric and the gasoline, to fuel your vehicle. Go burn some rubber.
This same scenario happens when you’ve been driving using the electric power for an extended period of time. Eventually, the gasoline power will join the electric power and you keep on truckin’ - or Prius-ing, I suppose.
Same with your bod. OK, let’s say you are out on your run (if you are not a runner, just work with me here. This can be applied to any cardio you do). You are at a nice easy pace, breathing deeply and just warming up. You are in the aerobic zone and your muscles have ample oxygen available to them. At this point your body is using fat for fuel.
The warm up is over, it’s time to pick up the pace. Suddenly, your breathing speeds up and you notice your heart rate is rising. At this point the oxygen needed to keep you in the aerobic zone is outstripped and glucose (carbs/sugar) pitches in and now you are in the anaerobic zone.
Alert! Alert! Big flashing arrows with lights are pointing to this fact that is missed by most:
Fat is still being used for energy as much as ever, but is now being helped out by glucose.
It is not an either/or process. It is an both/and process. Fat is being burned in the aerobic AND anaerobic zones. It is just in the anaerobic zone, glucose jumps in and helps out. But, your fat burning capacity did not turn off. It is still chugging away.
So, how does this pertain to you? A few ways.
I was jogging the other day and I needed to stay between 65-85% of my maximum heart rate in order to stay in my aerobic zone (or popularly called the fat burning zone. I hate that incomplete term). For me that is in between 141 - 157 beats per minute. Let’s see, I am in that zone for - oh - all of 8 minutes, if that. For the rest of the run, I am easily in the 160’s and even 170's on the sprints or hills. So, the question is -- was the whole run (minus the first 8 minutes) a complete waste of time? Did I not burn any fat since I was out of the magic “fat burning zone"?
OF COURSE NOT!
Cardio machines, heart rate monitors, or ignorant personal trainers straight out of high school are going to tell you that you are in the anerobic zone, thus you are not burning fat, so you need to slow down.
IGNORE THEM. They are wrong. Remember, even though you may hit your anaerobic zone, you are still burning fat and glucose as well.
You want results right? It all comes down to calories in vs. calories out. How are you going to burn more calories? Walking for 30 minutes or running for 30 minutes? OF COURSE RUNNING. Weight is lost when there is a calorie deficit -- so burning calories during a cardiovascular workout is your goal!
Let your body worry about what it needs to use for fuel. It is very good at flip flopping back and forth between aerobic and anerobic, fat and glucose -- with no help from you, thank you very much. Your job is to DO THE CARDIO. Just get it done! And push yourself. The most effective type of cardio incorporates HIIT -- which leads us back to another post.
I know that there will be exercise buffs, athletes, and scientists pulling their hair out yelling, "But there's so much more to this!" (The Doc is one of them. Sorry hon). But, we are here to understand what matters to us, not necessarily be awarded the Nobel Peace Prize. However, if they call I will graciously travel to Stockholm to accept.
To answer the question in the title post, the answer is a loud, emphatic YES! If you are doing cardio, whether it be aerobic or anaerobic, you are in your fat burning zone! CONGRATS!
Like this? Want more? Subscribe to Trainer Momma's RSS feed by clicking here.
Come join more Trainer Momma chatter on Facebook.
Thanks for reading!



14 comments:
I frign finally get it!!!
THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thank you! Very clear and I like being a cool geeky Prius. ;)
Also read the intervals post - I will try to remember this next time I am swearing up the hills on my bike ride. :D
Great post! I have read other articles about fat burning zone, cardio zone and then anaerobic zones.. Yikes..Just workout, push yourself a bit, and BREATHE!
This really makes it easier for people to understand.
In my world, I get that it is calories in VS calories out (plain and simple) if you stay in the scientists 'fat burning zone' and eat a whole pizza, well you know, You still wont lose weight. It takes a great combination and I am with you!
I will be out prius'ing on my runs... I love it! brrrmmm brrrrmm!
Thanks!
thanks for breaking it down for us.
Great post! I love how simple you make everything. I hated it when I was going to Bally's a couple years back and my trainer was getting all technical with me. I zoned out. :) Now this kind of explanation I can handle. :D
Can I just start by saying that I love you? (Okay, how is that for cyber weirdness? But in all seriousness, my SIL told me about your site just last week and from what I've read of yours, you are spot on with everything I've read or learned myself.) Anyway, thank you so much for debunking that awful fat burning myth once and for all. And, bless your healthy an/aerobic heart for talking about HIIT! Best fat blaster recipe out there!
WHEW! I'm telling you, this was the first time my heart started beating a bit faster when I posted this. I was almost in the anaerobic zone :) Like I said, I just wanted to clear up this myth in a lucid way. Thanks for the feedback, gals!
Thank you for posting this. This is very frustrating to me. My personal trainer wants me to train within my HR Zone only. It drives me crazy because I always want to go faster, but she says I won't be burning fat! UGH!! I'm glad to know I can go back to my old way of just running faster if I feel good and I have the urge to.
Awesome. Thanks, Mandi! I never understood the treadmills and bikes at the gym that showed where your heart rate should be to burn fat, OR do cardio. I was always like, "Shoot, I want to burn fat! This is easy!" But thanks to you I'll have to work myself harder now, thanks!
Fabulous explanation as always. Can you move to Seattle and be my personal trainer?
BTW, you were totally right. I just needed to stick with what I was doing and give it time. I am 1 lb. away from my goal weight now! Whoo Hooo!!!!!
Love your writing - enjoyable AND informative! Nice explanation. Thank you so much for sharing.
Just wanted to comment on Anonymous, You're trainer might not just be worrying about the fat burning...I had the same exact feeling when my coach slowed me down..I don't go slow all the time...I do get the green light to go fast in intervals and such...but it's more about building and areobic base...and I've found in just a few short months that I have a much lower HR at much higher paces which allows me to run farther than I thought I could! Talk to your coach...You might find some more out!
That's the thing. When we push ourselves -- then our hearts get stronger. In time, it does take more to get our heart rates to rise. This is called getting in shape! Conditioning! This is what we want...
Thanks for clearing that part up. Now this... is it better to run hard for 20 minutes, or walk briskly for an hour, assuming you burn as many calories?
Post a Comment