Many of you have heard of Zumba -- but what is it really? It basically is an aerobics class using Latin based moves and music. In other words: TOTALLY FUN.
I will admit, I have not been a Zumba fan. This stems back about 2 years ago when I tried my first Zumba class and was completely turned off by the instructor. She wasn't formerly Zumba certified, wasn't prepared, and basically we just shimmied and flailed our arms around with no structure or combos. Weird. I never got my heart rate up and never returned.
I was eager to try to REAL Zumba class.

The room was packed with women of all ages: grandmas, mothers, and their daughters. Everyone was wearing as much white as they could because the entire class was lit only by blacklights. Awesome. I've never been so tan in my life.
The music started pumping, my feet started moving and I could not stand still! For 90 minutes we cha-cha-ed, mamboed, salsa-ed, and tangoed to the addictive beat of the music. It was easy to add in more jumping and power moves to burn more calories or to modify it and bring it low to the to the ground.
I loved, loved, loved, seeing instructors of all ages, shapes, and sizes. The one thing they had in common is that these gals could seriously move. Fast. Man, hips were a-swinging and sweat the was a-pouring.

The only bad part was when the lights came back on and I was reminded how blindingly white I am. Where are the sunglasses? Ouch. Don't look too close, you'll burn your retinas:

If you haven't taken a Zumba class I would definitely recommend trying one. You just don't know if your inner Chita Rivera will be discovered and you'll be hooked!
Are any of you faithful Zumba-ites? Why do you keep going back for more?
Song of the day: Aguanile by Marc Anthony

7 comments:
I tried it on Monday.
I can see it having a fun potential.. but the insturctor that was teaching it on Monday was just aweful. I loved the music. but I am gonna have to give another instructor a try.
Glad you had fun
The instructor and MUSIC is where its at. And I must admit, having the lights out just let all the inhibitions fly out the window!
I tried out all 4 instructors at my gym and I found 2 classes that I LOVE! I run on the days I don't Zumba. Adding Zumba mixes it up enough that I don't get bored.
I just LOVE LOVE LOVE zumba! It is definitely a fun workout. I have been doing it for two years now...
I still run, spin and lift weights but always go back to zumba to let go and have a good time!
I do agree a lot of it is instructor based if you don't care for the instructor find another one. Also, give it at least 5 times before you give up!
So happy you had fun!
Sounds so fun! I've heard of Zumba and have been nervous to try it. That's back when I didn't know what exercise was. Now that I've been doing P90X I feel like I could give anything a try. This is on my list of must trys.
That exactly why I like to do posts like this. To put just a bit of an idea in your head, then the next time you run across it -- you just might love it!
I do not like the structure of the Zumba classes-by the time I learned the routine it was time to move to another...there wasn't any pre-teaching the moves. ANd all that booty-shaking!! Just wasn't enough to get my heart-rate up! BUT it is a great way to get people moving!!
Post a Comment