My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://www.trainermomma.com
and update your bookmarks.

Friday, March 12, 2010

Fit Momma Question: Do I Have to Run?

Fit Momma Michelle sent this common question into my inbox:

For those of us who aren't in any kind of shape (in more than one way, HA!), what precautions, if any, should we take while getting into the workout routine? I can tell I don't really have strong knees, so should I be sprinting on the treadmill?





The very first precaution is to ease yourself into this fitness thing.  Start with a walk every day for 30 minutes.  This will get your body primed and ready for what is coming next.

Intervals.  This may be in the form of a very fast walk (remember those speed walkers in the Olympics?  With their hips all over the place?  Yea, you don't have to look like that.  Just pick it up a notch).

It could be walking up and down hills.  You can do this on a treadmill or if you are lucky in your own neighborhood or at a local park.

It could be adding in some jogging.  When I first started jogging I would pick a landmark and just jog until I got there.  Jog to the lightpost.  Walk.  OK, now jog to that mailbox.  Then walk.  Jog to the Dunkin' Donuts.  Then walk past (not in).  Eventually, slowly I was increasing my jog time.

However, this leads me to a larger point:  WHO SAYS YOU HAVE TO JOG?  If you have weak knees, join the club. Since I am a member in very good standing in the Bad Knees Club, I learned by heart the first article in our BKC Constitution : 

Just because we have knees that hurt doesn't mean we can't exercise.
(line one, paragraph one, page one of the BKC Constitution)


This is a well worn excuse and one that for a lot of us does not hold any water.  Yes, there are extreme surgery-worthy exceptions, and those of you listen to your doctor and be smart.  I am not discounting true injuries in any way.  The best advice my mother gave me while laying in bed after having two knee surgeries back to back was:

SAVE YOUR KNEES.

Now, let me make this clear:  I am not blaming jogging for my bad knees.  I am blaming my wide hips, bad running form, poor biomechanics and genetics.  I have some needed improvement in this arena that I'm planning to work on (those posts are coming :)

However, a lot of newbies to fitness equate running with exercising.  GET THAT OUT OF YOUR HEAD.  There are a world of options for those of us who wish we could run the Disney World Marathon but can't.  We still can be in every bit of great shape as those admirable runners.


This is a fantastic segue into an upcoming new feature on Trainer Momma called:

"Have You Tried This?"


As of late, I've been very aware of all the options that are out there for cardiovascular and
 strength training workouts.  These occasional posts will feature the new, the old, the tried, the true, and sometimes the funny ways we can workout our bods.  Mostly, I would like it be a source of "Hhmm, I actually could try that" for you. 

That way, whether you are in the Bad Knees Club or not, you still can get in a fantastic workout.

Fit Mommas, what are some of your favorite workouts?  Spinning? Swimming? Skipping?  Hurdling your toddler?  Comment and let us know!

12 comments:

Vennesa said...

I only run on the days when I can't make it to a Zumba class. I get a great workout and I don't watch the clock like I do when I run.

CallMePretty411@yahoo.com said...

Thanks for having a great blog that's fun to read!

About running: I have bad knees from years of abuse from sports and being overweight. I never thought I was going to be able to run. I invested in a good pair of running shoes that specifically compensate for my gait and foot shape and have not experienced anything above mild knee pain that is easily ignored and not damaging me. It's worth a shot.

The Chambers said...

I enjoy getting dirty and planting new gardens. There are holes all over the yard! HA! It gets my creative juices flowing, and did I mention a sexy tan?

lbb said...

Weeding. Playing at the park (and I mean REALLY playing-chasing jumping hiding) with your kids...make the park fun for them, but exercise for you! Bike rides. Hikes. Oh the possibilites.
That said, NOW I usually have to stick to my boring exercise videos. That's the stage I'm at in life.

Emily said...

Dancing by myself in the mirror. Dancing with my two year old. Just plain old dancing.

Emily

Catherine said...

I just came across your blog and I love it!

My knees hurt off and on so when I'm not running, I have found that walking the treadmill on a 9-12 incline burns TONS of calories and is a great workout!

Unknown said...

I was an avid runner until a back injury in September. I am slowly making my way back to running. In the meantime I found spinning to be a fabulous workout and I also found HOT Yoga.

Although these are great, I miss my morning runs and lifting weights at the gym. I am hoping for a return to these in the near future. :)

Anonymous said...

I have a question or topic for you to discuss on your blog. How to cope with eating out at resturants. What to order, how to figure calories? You can't always avoid eating in resturants for social functions and gatherings. What do you do?

Also, I was in California recently at a Red Robin. They had a brochure with the nutritional facts on every single item on their menu. I heard this is a new law in california requiring resturants to have their nutritional facts at each table. I was shocked! So many meals were 1,000 to 2,000 calories. Even salads, wraps, it was insane! I seriously felt sick after looking at that. I had no idea that resturant food was THAT bad. I knew it was unhealthy, but not THAT unhealthy. It was sickening. Enough to make me never want to eat out.

What do you think about this law? Is there websites to go to look up nutritional facts for resturants? How do you deal with having to eat out? Advice?

Trainer Momma said...

I will definitely have to do a post on the eating out issue. It is a problem for most of us, for sure. You are right, it is unbelievable how many meals are basically an entire days worth of calories!

Trainer Momma said...

I have never tried Hot or Bikram Yoga. Hmmm, that will have to be a "Have You Tried This?" post for sure.

KimG said...

I am loving the new kickboxing class I just started going to. I am at the gym or the trainer 3-4x/wk, but this class seems to really challenge me.

the Villamor's said...

i love lifting weights and spinning but those can be hard on my knees if I don't rest properly....and if i don't stay up on my knee-strengthening exercises. those work WONDERS for how they feel! oh and taking glucosamine chrodroatin...sp?...really works for me. I didn't think it made that big of a difference until i ran out and started hurting!
I need a challenge mentally and physically every so often so i am going to give triathlons a shot and see how that goes! then maybe a half-marathon.

My mom also says...no preaches....take care of your knees!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails