My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://www.trainermomma.com
and update your bookmarks.

Monday, March 29, 2010

Filling Up the Easter Baskets

Wild flowers are a-bloomin here in south Texas. I am determined to enjoy this week of nice weather. That’s about all it lasts here -- a week. Next thing I know it will be 100+ degrees -- so I’m basking in this paradise while I can.

I get ridiculously excited about holidays. It’s a problem that I’ve tried to tone down, but sure enough Easter is this week and I am having a hard reigning in the enthusiam. YEEHA!




200544037-001
When the Doc and I were first married, Easter was coming and true to form I spent several weeks getting his Easter basket ready. It would be a vision of perfection with the goodies, necessities, fun meaningful things he would not believe that I thought of. I woke up on Easter morning to sneak it out to the our dining room table that we had acquired from a dumpster (the chairs were rocking chairs that rocked FORWARD -- face plant into your food. We did not have many house guests in those days). My Easter basket was no where to be seen. Of course, when he saw his Easter basket, practically glowing and hovering in mid-air in all its Easter perfectness, terror immediately flooded his barely awake eyes.

“Are we doing Easter?!?” he asked with panic in his voice.

“Of course we are doing Easter! Who else is going to do it for us?” I replied incredulously.

“Oh, crap! I thought that was just what our moms did for us when we are kids! I didn’t even get you anything.”

Thud. My excitement hit the ground in a million pieces.

That’s a classic example of our first year of marriage. Unspoken expectations met with utter disappointment when he didn’t read my mind. We’ve come along way since then.

The Doc threw on some clothes and flew out the door and made a beeline for the only store that could salvage his new bride’s broken heart: Walgreens.

He came back to our one bedroom apartment beaming with the largest Easter basket I’d ever seen. It had all the loud, bright, nearly fluorescent colors and was overflowing with candy. I’m not kidding, candy was falling all over the ground. I’m talking nothing else at all in there. No green filler Easter grass, no little stuffed animals or other little “nuh-nuhs” (my word for extra little stuff). JUST CANDY. Jelly beans, candy corn Eater bunnies, chocolate kisses, chocolate bunnies, chocolate everything, jelly bellies, Lifesavers, licorice, Gobstoppers. He had cleaned out the candy shelves of Walgreens that Easter morning. I was touched and cracked up at his eagerness to give me a memorable Easter. And sure enough, nearly every Easter since then I mention the candy Easter basket. The one that I single handedly ate every single piece of candy out of that dang thing. No help from anyone, thank you very much. Back in those days I was serious about my sugar and needed no assistance in packing it away.

Easter around our house is much different now that we have 3 kids to focus on and the Doc has worked Easter for the past --I don’t know how many years. I no longer expect an Easter basket from him and don’t worry about putting one together for him. That’s what being married 14 1/2 years will do for you. Expectations are much more realistic.

But, we still have these 3 kids to think of --and if your Easter season is anything like ours you are inundated with candy. I swear it feels like we are already rolling around in jelly beans and chocolate (which happens sugar in my two favorite forms). So, what are some ideas for reducing the sugarness in this wonderful holiday? A few ideas:


  • Focus on the eggs! Obviously, dying Easter eggs is great fun and happens to be my kids’ MVP of snacks. So, we have each of them dye around 12-18 eggs each and make a big production out of that. Those eggs are the only one that the Easter bunny hides here in the Reading home. Nope, we don’t search for the plastic eggs filled with candy. Frankly, between church and neighborhood parties, we’ve already had plenty of that. The kid’s love just finding the eggs that they dyed -- no sugar added. Then, of course, we enjoy hard-boiled eggs for days with the wacko colors on the inside. The weirder the better!


  • The “Golden Egg”. OK, I lied -- we do hide 3 golden plastic eggs along with the hard boiled kind. In these eggs are a dollar bill. Since my kids are all 8 and under this is equivalent to winning the lottery. I’ve learned one for each of them is wise -- no tears or WWF moves to get to the Golden Egg first.


  • We are a church goin’ family and I like to add some religious books and items that will help my kids reverently “survive” our church services. Books, manga doodles, journals, notebooks, stencils, stickers, scripture marking pencils, bookmarks -- all with a religious tone make it into the Easter basket.


  • Summer gear. Summer is starting like next week here, so its time to get ready! The baskets are loaded with this summer’s bathing suit, swim shirt, swim shorts, and water shoes, and the all important goggles. I even had a sister-in-law use big sand buckets as the Easter baskets that she turned around and brought to the beach.
A few other ideas:


watches
markers, cool crayons, colored pencils
new books to read
crafts to do
any other Easter themed items (my boys love the parachuting Easter bunny)
bandaids (I don’t know why but these are a must every year)
craft items -- scissors, scotch tape, glue sticks, fun papers, etc.
yo-yos
small toys
bookmarks

And yes, I do throw a few plastic eggs with candy into their basket. This way, they get their Easter candy fix, but not the out of control, unending supply of sugar that goes on for weeks.

Hey, Fit Mommas -- I’m sure you’ve got loads of ideas for us...  Share them in the comments por favor! My kids will thank you!

13 comments:

Christina said...

i was just thinking...what am i going to do for easter this year--

i am the same with you-more $1 store items...WAY less candy--

one year i ate my ENTIRE easter basket all day long when i was little, the ENTIRE thing--then i threw up..lesson learned.

Chiemi said...

Okay, I have girly girls at my house so we do nail polish, flavored chap stick, cheap jewelry from the dollar section at Target and stickers. I also do crayons and crafty things like you suggested. One year they got really cool socks too. Oh and cheap sunglasses. I have a 2 year old and a 4 year old and they LOVE cheap kiddie sunglasses. We of course do candy as well, but I like baskets with fun stuff. I don't need Halloween all over again. :)

Unknown said...

My house has a 17 yr old, 15 yr old and a 9 yr old. The teenage girls get mascara, hairspray, gum, mints, pj's and usually a piece of jewelry. My 9 yr old boy is usually swim attire or pj's. Basketball, book, flip flops. Anything to have outside fun or pool fun.

Basically it is the things they need to start the summer season. This year I decided to throw in their favorite protein bars and try to really limit the candy.

The Martin Family said...

I love all these ideas. Great post. Thanks!!

Amy said...

I did something different last year, and it was such a hit, I'm going to do it this year (I hope). I had a bunch of paper typed up that said "Keep looking!" and "You're almost there!"... and there was an egg that had a family gift inside (it was the Princess Bride movie), but my girls LOVED trying to find THE egg. Most of our eggs were filled w/ those papers. LOL

fitncrafty said...

How about sidewalk chalk, jump ropes, bubbles, hoola hoops, rubber bouncy balls, sun glasses, flower/veggie seeds and small growing pots.

Love the idea of swim suit and beach wear..

shauna said...

Great ideas! I may steal a few from ya!!

Trainer Momma said...

Oooo! I like the seeds idea -- my kids would love that.

Nutritious Foodie said...

oh that's so sweet! We don't exchange easter baskets.. although MIL sends one to Raymond and I take it to work or have him take it to work... Persian New Year is so close to easter... so it would be too much exchanging for Persian new year and then easter.. although I do wonder how we would handle easter when we have kids...

I will file this post for future reference though!

Too bad you don't live close to me... we could have watch the game together this Saturday.

Let's Goooo Mountaineers! ;)

Alicia said...

Thanks for the post Mandi! I've been waiting for it to decide what to do this year. I REALLY like the seed idea too. I might just have to do that one.

lbb said...

I'm laughing about your Doc story. The same thing went on the first year of marriage for us, too. Gotta love it. I've now just given myself the "go ahead" to buy myself something like a new shirt instead of him wasting all the $ on candy crap!
I always buy my boys their new swimsuit/swimshirt in their easter basket. For them, the FINDING is the funnest part. They don't care so much about the prize. It's more the search.
Thanks for the fun ideas!
Liz in Seattle.

Anonymous said...

Great ideas. Just in time for my Easter Basket shopping this week!!!

Amy said...

My husband and I had a similar 1st Easter experience!!! Fortunately he didn't forget my upcoming birthday which he had already bought me a tennis racket. So my first Easter basket was a tennis racket. I no longer expect him to do Easter either. :)

Here's an idea for the plastic easter eggs: place a puzzle piece inside each plastic egg and assemble it together as a family when all the pieces are found.

Love your blog, just found it. Thanks!

Related Posts with Thumbnails