Many people, however, find some serious motivation when they sign up for some athletic event. A race. If you were to ask them what race is next, they could spout off the event, date, length, and what time they are aiming to beat. These people are F-O-C-U-S-E-D. With every step of their run they are thinking of that race. With every flip turn, they are thinking of that race.

Have you thought about joining them? This is not some elite athlete group, ladies. These are normal people who just have set a fitness goal and reach it. Hey, this could be you! This is not something to be intimidated by, but motivated by.
I'm just saying to think about it.
Now is the time to look ahead. There are all kinds of events coming up this spring, and I’ve noticed that sign-ups are already taking place.
It is so stinkin’ fun to
I've done several of these events, however would never classify myself as a runner, a cyclist, a swimmer, or triathlete. Just a mom having a little fun. Yes, there are a few pros out there and I have to pop my eyeballs back in my head after gawking at them so rudely. The surprising thing is most of the other participants in these events are just like me and you. They are all different ages, sizes and shapes just looking for a very healthy way to stay motivated.
So, let's find a race! Sprint triathlon? 5K? 10K? Cycling race? Duathlon? A walk for a good cause? What will motivate you?
Here are a few race finder websites. Just put the area you are looking for and it should give you a list of upcoming events:
www.active.com
www.trifind.com
www.runnersworld.com
www.enduranceracefinder.com
www.HPRaces.com
And the best part? The free t-shirt (they are getting cuter every year) and the traditional muscle flexing photo with your girlfriends.

4 comments:
I LOVE running races, even though I am not a fast or good runner. There is just something about them that spikes your spirit. I can't wait to be there again, soon.
I so enjoyed this. My husband has been running in marathons for years. And I have been a great "cheerer on-er". I serious cry as I watch people cross the finish line knowing they have given it all they have. So in 2007I signed up for my 1st 5k. It was a HUGE challenge for me(I have never been athletic) but the sense of accomplishment was INCREDIBLE. Then I made a goal for myself to do a half marathon (in Ogden, Utah). It took me 3 hours and 45 minutes, but I was a FINISHER. I have since done 2 other 1/2 marathons and learned to love the feeling of pushing myself and the pride of having the finisher medal arund my neck. My pace has increased a little, but I am still at the end of the pack when I get to the finsh line. Instead of getting frusrated or sad that I am so pokey, I remind myself, "at least you are finishing it." And that is important to "run your own race". I am already signed up for 2 other 1/2 marathons in April and May.
Thanks again for your awesome blog!!
~~Nik
I have loved running since I was in middle school. I am not very good at it, but I still love it. My big goal for this year is to run in the Saint George Marathon. I am BEYOND excited. I feel like whenever I sign up for a race it pushes me to work harder and try my best. I love it!
I couldn't agree more. I ran my first half marathon in 2008. It was one of the hardest things I've ever done and I was in tears as I crossed the finish line because I couldn't believe what I had just accomplished. What a great fitness goal to keep you motivated about exercising/running. I have never been a runner. I actually started running in 2007. I'm just getting back in to running after having my fifth child and my next goal is to run a marathon before I'm 40 which will be October 2011. Wish me luck!
Post a Comment