My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://www.trainermomma.com
and update your bookmarks.

Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Chicken Orzo Skillet

In a hurry? Of course you are.
Want dinner fast? Of course you do.
Want something healthy and fresh? Of course you do.
Want something that everyone will actually eat? Of course you do.

This one-skillet number hit the spot recently to all that partook (minus the two-year-old). Enjoy!




Chicken Orzo Skillet
adapted from www.tasteofhome.com/healthycooking

2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2-in. strips
1 can of navy beans or white northern beans, drained
garlic powder
1 small onion chopped (or onion powder in our house. The Doc hates onions :(
1 Tb olive oil
1/2 tsp of minced garlic
1 can (14.5 oz) diced tomatoes, undrained
4 cups of fresh spinach chopped
1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
3/4 cup uncooked orzo pasta
1 tsp Italian seasoning (find TM recipe here)
1/8 tsp crushed red pepper flakes, optional
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese, optional

In a large skillet, saute chicken in olive oil for 5-6 minutes until it is no longer pink. Add beans, garlic and sprinkle with garlic powder all over. Cook 1 minute longer.

Throw the diced tomatoes in blender and get rid of all the chunks (this is to accomodate the NO CHUNKS RULE the Doc imposed in our house. Skip it if you don't have that rule).

Stir in tomatoes, chopped spinach, broth, orzo, Italian seasoning, and pepper flakes if desired. Cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until orzo is tender and liquid is absorbed. Garnish with cheese if desired.

1-1/4 cups 339 calories (without cheese).

6 comments:

Chiemi said...

Oh my gosh, that looks SO good!!

Kim said...

I'm loving this! I will be trying it soon!

BrendaKaye said...

This looks great! I will have never cooked with orzo; I am gonna try it!

Sarah said...

I tried it! Very good, thanks for sharing!

Jeannie said...

Loved it! Tried it tonight and my whole family enjoyed it (onions and all)! :)

Thanks so much for posting your recipes.

Lyana said...

Tried it tonight! I blended my spinach with my tomatoes, so it all became quite green:) Kids ate, but next time I'll keep it red.

Related Posts with Thumbnails