My kids and husband love tostadas. I can't stand them. But, often I'm in a hurry and want them to actually eat, so I throw these together.
There is no need to buy pre-made tostada shells when you can make your own and avoid all that added saturated fat that the store bought ones so generously provide. Another bonus is that corn tortillas are so very cheap and keep forever in the freezer or fridge.
Bean and Cheese Tostadas
by www.trainermomma.com
Corn tortillas
Fat-free refried beans
Reduced-fat shredded cheddar cheese
tomatoes
romaine lettuce, shredded
plain yogurt or reduced-fat sour cream (the Reading family doesn't like this one, so we skip it)
I heat the oven to 350 degrees and pop as many corn tortillas in as I need on a cookie sheet for 4-5 minutes on one side. Then, I flip the tortillas over for another 4-5 minutes. Take them out and let them cool around 10 minutes (they harden up as they cool).
Slather them with the fat-free refried beans, some cheese and I pop them back in the oven for about 4-5 minutes (until heated through).
Take them out of the oven, top with tomatoes and lettuce and enjoy!
Pretty simple, pretty fast.

3 comments:
Oooo my kids would love this! We always have corn tortillas on hand for quesadillas and enchiladas. This is a good one to add to the list. :)
THANK you for telling me about the corn tortilla secret! I tried it a few weeks ago, and didn't know the trick was that they harden up as they cool! Now we can have it healthy! :)
OHHHHHHHHHHH is THAT the tostada shell trick?!?!? fabulous--im so stealing it!
Post a Comment