Fit Momma Crystal sent this recipe to me quite some time ago. Frankly, I shoved to the back of the cookbook because of one ominous ingredient:
tofu.
Whoa! I have eaten tofu in restaurants several times before and enjoyed it, but never have I actually purchased it and prepared it myself.This week I was more daring than usual, and bought the darn stuff. I found it in the produce section at my grocery store. It turns out I was intimidated for nothing. It comes in soft, medium, and hard consistencies -- I stuck with the medium just to be safe. Tofu is kind of a follower, it really doesn't have a distinctive taste and will just take on whatever taste you give it.
This salad also has another protein packer:
edamame.
As usual, I made myself a nice big batch of this stuff and ate it all week long. And I got some serious protein with the tofu and edamame -- I'll save the meat for next week! :)
| From November 2009 |
Hearty Asian Salad
by Crystal Bowman
In a salad bowl combine dressing:
1 tsp fresh grated ginger (mine was not fresh! It was from a little bottle)
1 Tbs soy sauce
1 Tbs olive oil
1/2 tsp salt
Layer on the following salad ingredients:
4 oz. tofu cubed
1 cucumber diced
1 red pepper diced
2 stalks of celery diced (I didn't have celery so I diced up a green pepper instead)
1 cup shelled edamame (green soybeans)
1/2 cup sliced almonds
1 Tbs sesame seeds
Toss all and serve.
If you are storing this: The only thing that didn't keep well over the week were the almonds -- they got a little soft. I suggest leaving those out and adding them fresh each day.
Enjoy! Thanks for the recipes, gals! Keep them comin'!
See all Trainer Momma recipes here.

7 comments:
That recipie sounds so yummy!! Thanks for sharing. I'm going to give this one a try.
I'm glad you gave it a shot. I've had it with shredded chicken too. Great tip with the almonds. I'm actually looking forward to some Thanksgiving meals! Are your parents staying there?
Me and my parents are making the trip back to AZ. Of course, they will be flying and I will be driving the 14 hrs.
YUM!!!! This looks so great! I love tofu and edamame so this is right up my alley! Thanks!!!
Oooh! I could eat edamame ALL day long!! LOVE them!
Great flavors and ingredients. This salad looks outstanding.
I tried it with a can of tuna instead of the tofu. yummy!! I'll be making this again. thanks for the recipe.
Post a Comment