My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://www.trainermomma.com
and update your bookmarks.

Sunday, November 22, 2009

Get Your Game On!

We are in the middle of the toughest game of the year: The Holiday Game. Here we go again, friends! We already made it (hopefully successfully) through Halloween and now we are in the second quarter of the game: Thanksgiving.

What’s your game plan?
What’s worked in the past?
What hasn’t worked in the past?
How can we make it through the next week with out a huge crash and burn?

As I've talked to my clients and read some of your blogs, there is some fear and trepidation out there as Thanksgiving approaches. This is not necessary because there are some tried and true strategies that can be put to good use this week and help us focus on thankfulness instead of our growing thighs.

So, let's huddle up and review our game plan.

Strategy #1 – Starting right now eat clean, eat right, eat just enough. In these days leading up to the big feast, take the time to feed your body well, I'm talking really well. Lots of veggies, salads, soups – nothing too heavy (save that for Thursday). I just made a batch of pumpkin muffins for the kids and loaded up on my spinach, peppers, tomatoes, feta cheese, and other yummy salad fixin's to take care of me for the next few days.

Strategy #2 – Keep up the exercising! Keep up all those runs, trips to the gym, Jillian Michael’s DVD all week. I have a 14 hour drive ahead of me tomorrow, but guess what I’m doing first? You guessed it – I’m lifting weights then I will hit the road. Throughout the week carve out your time to exercise that body. It will also help you handle all the stress, illness, pecan pie, and mashed potatoes that will be thrown in your path. Just jog right on by!

Strategy #3 – WORKOUT ON THANKSGIVING MORNING. I know that Thanksgiving morning hits and you wake up with a start with a huge list of what to do: make the 6 dozen homemade rolls, finish the jello salad, start the mashed potatoes, get all you and your kids looking perfect in their new clothes since this is the one time each year your entire extended family will see the whole clan.

Since I’ve become a mom, I still wake up early and get a good, solid workout in on Thursday morning. I know I’m going to be consuming more calories than usual which always throws me (and my digestive tract) for a loop. The least I can do is provide my body and mind with some sort of normalcy. And, of course, this helps quell the guilt factor as I’m eating my apple crumble pie a la mode.

Also, involve the family. This has been the most successful thing I’ve ever done on Turkey Day. It started with chasing the Turkey in the Turkey Trot with my parents and cousins when I was growing up. What a great tradition and example my parents set for me! And of course, take a long walk after the meal (weather permitting). Good for the body, good for the soul.

Strategy #4 – Focus on maintenance. This isn’t a week to expect some serious weight loss. Just focus on maintenance and cut yourself some slack. It’s Thanksgiving for crying out loud!

Strategy #5 – Jump back into normal life on Friday. I’m not saying ignore those leftovers that are calling your name from the fridge, just put them to good, healthy use! Use the turkey in a salad, make some soup. Overall, however, there’s no use in having two or three Thanksgiving feasts. Thursday typically brings excess calories, so the best thing to do is to eat light and lean on Friday and – again – workout! Get your body back in working order on Friday.

Get hydrated
rip off the warm ups
and let’s get our game on!



4 comments:

Alicia said...

That is such good advice. I love it!

Amber said...

What a great, motivating cheerleader you are! Thanks for your encouraging words about the Olympics.

Krista said...

Focus on maintenance...love it!
thanks for the pep talk!! have a happy thanksgiving! thanks for the great advice, as always. :)

Karen said...

I'm new to your blog, but have found it VERY helpful! With this list of do's and don'ts it's nice to know that I'm on the right path. Thanks for the motivation and all the good tips! This year it's people like you that I am truly grateful for, so, THANKS!

Related Posts with Thumbnails