However, it must be in the water, ladies... I have received three emails just this week from some Fit Mommas and they are PREGNANT! YAHOO! They each are wanting some fitness advice for the 40 weeks. Before we jump into this, I must give a very candid confession:
I celebrate motherhood and families. Nothing is more amazing than a woman being able to create another human being. I see beauty when I am around someone who is expecting. I admire mothers like my older sister, Carley. She marvels at each new development and embraces the the transformation of her body.
I am not like Carley. I am nauseous for 25+ weeks. I complain to anyone who will listen. My booty immediately balloons out in a cartoon-like fashion and looks as though it is the body part carrying the child. My chest explodes and reminds me of my double bra wearing college days (all the while the Doc is doing a happy dance as he sees me busting out of bra after bra). My already bad skin gets even worse! It is not pretty. I kick and scream the whole 10 months (HELLO! 40 weeks is 10 freakin' months, not 9! Who did that math?).
When it comes to this blog and fitness, I practice what I preach. However, when it comes to pregnancy, I have been horrible. I have CRASHED AND BURNED big time three times running...
First pregnancy: +45 lbs
Second pregnancy: +55 lbs
Third pregnancy: +70 lbs!
Second pregnancy: +55 lbs
Third pregnancy: +70 lbs!
![]() |
| From Collages |
All that aside, I hope that my mistakes and my successes can help and definitely not hurt any of you Fit Mommas out there. It IS possible for the pregnant and fitness worlds to coexist. So, let's go there as we embark on a series of Pregnancy Posts...
Varicose veins and all.


10 comments:
I exercised and watched what I ate throughout my pregnancy, and I must admit that on top of not ballooning up like I dreaded, I also had more energy during those months. However, having recently given birth, I am finding that the middle of body is not at all bouncing back like I had hoped. Could you maybe include some post-pregnancy advice in your series as well?? :-)
Yay! I'm 12 weeks pregnant, so if I can muster up the energy, this'll be great!!
You look beautiful in the picture! I think that is why I ballooned up when I was pregnant, from my teenage years of being overweight. Why can't all those feelings and insecurities just go away for once? I just went to it thinking that I would gain weight because it is easy for myself to. That is such stupid reasoning on my part! Oh well. I am looking forward to your next few posts so I can learn what to do and what not to do for my next pregnancy (which is a long way off!)
Absolutely -- we'll definitely talk about getting back into Fit Momma shape! That mid section is a problem area for most moms. Grrr!
LOL, I am certainly thrilled to see that you can gain 70 pounds and end up looking like YOU do!
I gained 50 pounds with every single one of my six kids -- even when TEACHING an aerobics class. Stinks on ice.
Well, back to the treadmill! :)
How funny that I looked at your blog today...I must have been drinking the same water...I am pregnant with my fourth and final!! I am very excited, but I too have to admit I HATE being pregnant. I don't gain very much weight, but that's because I am so sick for the first 20 weeks. Then after that point I gain no weight ANYWHERE except for my HUGE HUGE disproportion of a stomach. It looks HILARIOUS with how small my body is. I have had SEVERAL people ask me if it was "real" and yes they wanted me to lift my shirt up and prove it after I told them it really was my stomach. So as you can imagine carrying my babies completely out front has left me with lots of extra 90 year old woman skin! oh how fun it is!! but I have to admit those little hoodlems are so worth it. I love this blog and will continue to try to do what's best for my body and this new baby thanks to tips from you!!
Well I must have been drinking that same water...I am pregnant with my fourth and final! I am very excited but must admit I hate pregnancy. I don't gain much weight with my babies, mostly due to the fact that I'm so so sick the first 20 weeks. But I carry my babies WAY out front. It looks so hilarious how little my body is and how huge my disproportion stomach gets. I've had SEVERAL people ask me if it was "REAL" (as if I'd walk around the mall faking pregnancy) anyway I have had people ask me to lift up my shirt because they honestly didn't believe that it was my stomach. Therefore after pregnancy I get lucky enough to sport some major extra 90 year old lady skin for a long time! We all have our different challenges I guess. I am excited to take care of my body and this new baby and will still be staying tune for your great tips!
Hey I just had an idea for you, if you're interested. I have a great idea for Halloween time. My kids Love trick or treating. But all that good exercise is in vain once they devour candy for the next week. Here's how I avoid the sugar overload.
My husband is a dentist, so he's obviously not too fond of our kids devouring their gallons of candy. So we give our kids the opportunity to have the "SWITCH WITCH" come to visit. the switch witch is me and I present them with a few different toys (or things I know they've been wanting) in exchange for their candy. Most of the time I let them keep a handful of candy and they switch the rest for something I have that they want. That way I limit how much sugar they eat but they are still happy because they finally got that "Lego set" (or whatever) they've been eyeing and I now have a stash of candy to throw away or use for prizes elsewhere. I love this idea.
Yay!!!! Thank you for this! Is it terrible that I am so grateful to hear someone else who eats really good and exercises and still gains a ton! I always gain 60-70 lbs... GRRRRR. I am working hard to get it off this time around (#4) but it is so frustrating.
I am a sicky when I am pregnant - I usually spend quite a bit of the first 6 months in the hospital and my Dr said that that is why I gain so much! Boooo!
I look forward to reading your advice and I will take it all down for next time around!
Thank you!!!!
I love that switch witch idea. Much more clever than the Candy Fairy!
Post a Comment