My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://www.trainermomma.com
and update your bookmarks.

Thursday, October 29, 2009

Chicken Quinoa Salad

I LOVE SALADS. Anyone who knows me knows my happiness comes in the form of a heaping plate full of salad. A new salad recipe is a treasured gift and I welcome one and all to please, pretty please, send them my way!

My awesome sister-in-law, Stacy, obviously loves me tremendously because she passed this Chicken Quinoa Salad recipe along. I made it just for me, and I've been feasting on it all week while Halloween candy has been thrown at me from every direction. It helped me feel like I was still having a "treat", but not the kind that starts will an "M" and ends with an "M".

A main ingredient in this salad is a grain called quinoa (pronounced keen-wa). It is a complete protein (contains all the essential amino acids our bodies need, similar to milk), lots of fiber, and it a SNAP to prepare. Yes, you can pick it up at any grocery store; however, I had to ask my friendly grocery store worker to stop texting and show me where it was. It was hidden waaaay down at the bottom of the rice aisle.

From Collages

Chicken Quinoa Salad
from Healthy Recipes from the Heart of Our Homes

1 cup quinoa
2 cups water
Bring water to a boil. Add quinoa. Cover and turn off heat. Let cook for 10 minutes. When it is done, fluff with fork.

Add the following goodies:

1/2 cup cashews
1 cup grapes, halved
1/4 of a red onion, chopped (use more or less to taste)
1 chopped cucumber
1 cup cooked chicken, chopped (I threw it a bit more)
3 Tbs chopped fresh basic or cilantro (I used the dry kind, it was all I had)
1 tsp lemon grass (optional)

Toss with a Light Rasberry Vinegarette dressing. Arrange on a crisp lettuce. Garnish with avacado slices.



2 comments:

Chiemi said...

Oooo I love salads. I love them so much and eat them so often that my girls always want to eat them too (ages 4 and 2). :) This recipe need to go in my file of salad recipes!

{ Lana Cox } said...

This is one of my favorites Mandy. It's healthy and filling :) Hope you enjoy it!

Mexican Salad
Makes 4 servings

15-ounce can garbanzo beans
15-ounce can black beans
2 tomatoes, diced
1 red or yellow bell pepper, diced
1/2 cup chopped scallions
1/2 cup chopped celery
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro or parsley
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/4 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon salt
Freshly ground black pepper
1 tablespoon walnut oil
Juice of 1 lime
2 cups mixed salad greens


Rinse the beans with cold water and drain. In a large bowl, toss the garbanzos, black beans, tomatoes, bell pepper, scallions, celery, cilantro, garlic, cumin, salt, and pepper. Dress the salad with the walnut oil and lime juice. Serve over mixed salad greens.

Nutrition facts per serving: 245 calories, 12g protein, 39g carbohydrate, 5g fat (0g saturated), 11g fiber

Related Posts with Thumbnails