My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://www.trainermomma.com
and update your bookmarks.

Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Fit Momma Asks: Diet Coke?

Fit Momma Ashlee asked a doosey:

Why is Diet Coke so bad? Really. If someone still drinks 75 oz of water/day, why is having a Diet Coke as a wake up call so bad? I know aspartame is bad- but what about diet coke with Splenda (which is now widely available)?

I know soda is bad for me. I've been told this since I was tiny. I just really can't find a good answer as to why. My mother told me it would cause weight gain... yet most of my skinniest friends sip on their Diet Cokes all day.




Thanks, Ashlee! Are you ready for an answer? Really? cause it's gonna hurt. Here we go!

Some thoughts about diet sodas:

1. Yes, it is true that drinking Diet Coke versus regular Coke can cut some serious calories. However, studies have shown that drinking diet sodas increase the body's cravings for sweet things, often resulting in overeating. It's like it turn the "Help, I must eat something sweet, NOW!" switch to the on position.

2. By loading up on diet sodas, it often forces out the other healthier beverage options -- namely water and skim milk. Yes, 75 oz of water is great, but I always suggest boosting that number to at the least 96 oz and up to a gallon a day. I do have a post on this.

3. Chemicals. Ugh. Need I say more? I can't even pronounce the ingredients in those things, so there is no way I'm pouring that stuff down my throat. I've always felt eating clean is what the body responds to best to -- especially when I'm busting my rear end every day during my workouts, I am determined to reward it with real food and drink. Not something created in a lab.

4. Also, there's the addiction factor that makes me very queasy. I personally have been very addicted to sugar at one point, and I hated that control that it had on me. When something has that much control on us, like we can't think or function unless we have it, I personally don't classify it has healthy.

5. There have been some studies that have linked diet soda to hypertension. Other caffeinated beverages did not make the cut, however diet soda has the privilege of cozying up to heart disease. Not something to shout about.

OK -- I'm off the soap box now. Whew!

I agree, there are plenty of skinny women walking around with a Diet Coke in their hand as I write this. This is an ongoing controversy in my field... However, I have worked with several clients who had a diet soda habit and after much effort they were able to kick it. Amazingly, they ate less, ate better, worked out harder and were able to drop the last 5 lbs their body was clinging to and -- HALLELUJAH! That tummy finally flattened out.

Hey, I know I'm rubbing a lot of moms the wrong way out there. But, that's my story and I'm stickin' to it. In a nutshell -- leave the Diet Coke at the store instead of your in your cart...

5 comments:

Amy said...

OK .. I fess up the the fact I drink Diet coke OCCASIONALLY for the caffeine (OK, and when I eat Mexican food...that's a must!). :)

Would you rather I drink a diet coke or pick up chocolate for the caffeine?

OK... I'll smack myself on the arm for you. :D Don't you just LOVE me Mandi?!!!

Trainer Momma said...

I answer NONE OF THE ABOVE. Ok, a small amount of chocolate is acceptable -- it sustains life.

The Martin Family said...

I have always wondered about that. I am a big diet soda drinker. I think it is time for me to stop! Thanks!

Alicia said...

Great post!! BTW, did I tell you how much I'm loving the protien shake. My husband and I both drink one almost every day.

Holly said...

Just what I needed-reasons not to drink Diet Coke! I'm an addict, have been for years. I challenged myself to stay off it for the month of February, I figured I could do it because, after all, it is the shortest month of the year. So far so good! But every once in awhile I find myself looking forward to March so I can have a sip....But, instead of backsliding I"m going to extend my challenge. Who needs Diet Coke?! Not me! I'm not going to drink chemicals anymore. The extra money in my bank account is an added bonus!

Related Posts with Thumbnails