My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://www.trainermomma.com
and update your bookmarks.

Monday, October 19, 2009

Basic Legs: PART TWO The Squat

Well, we have learned the lunge, and now we are onto the squat. Here goes!
Basic Leg Workout: PART TWO
The Squat
Objective:
To build strength in quads and glutes.
Starting Position:
Feet shoulder width apart, toes facing forward, standing tall, chest open, hands on hips or down by your sides.
Movement:
Bend your knees, stick your booty WAAAAAY out, and squat down. Tada!


From Collages


Trainer Momma Tips:
Keep your chest up, don't let it fall forward.
Also, the deeper the better, bend those knees!
Try to squat so your legs form a 90 degree angle. Don't go too far down, no lower than 90 degrees.
I can't say it enough -- shamelessly stick that back side OUT!
Keep the heels on the floor.

From Collages

You Should Feel It:
In your glutes and quads the most.

Workout Ideas:
-Do 15-20 squats. Repeat that sequence 2, then eventually 3 times.
-Do 15 squats, hold it for 15 seconds. Repeat that sequence 2, then eventually 3 times.

Take It Up a Notch:
Add dumbbells in both hands. Start out small (5 lbs), then work your way up (15 lbs.)
From October 2009

Take It Up Another Notch:
-Plies: Rotate your toes out, and do a grand plie (remember those ballet classes from 2nd grade? They are coming in handy!). Keep the heels down. Add a weight to hold in the middle (10-35 lbs) to make it more challenging.
From Collages

-Narrow Squat: Start with your feet very close together and squat down. Add weights (5-15 lbs) for a bit more of a challenge.
From October 2009

-Hold It!: My favorite! Do around 15-20 squats, then hold it at the bottom for 10-30 seconds. Ouch, baby! You should challenge your husband with this one -- who can hold it the longest? :)

8 comments:

Ratliffs said...

I've learned that it helps to stand in front of a wall in order to keep yourself from "tucking" your butt instead of sticking it out...Gotta love squats!

amy said...

I just found your blog and love it :) Please keep it up! I'm 28 weeks pregnant so I'm not doing much of a work out routine at all right now, but I'm excited to look back to this after I have my baby!

Alison Moore Smith said...

Hi! I got your post on MormonMomma.com. If you could pop back in there and whisper me your email, I'd appreciate it.

Amy said...

Wahoo! Hey! How did you change your comment box? I want to do that too! Oh, and BTW... I hate squats. And lunges. We don't get along very well. :D

Trainer Momma said...

Amy, Amy, Amy. Just you wait... you, lunges, squats, step ups and wall sits will be your new BFF. :)

Holly said...

Thanks for the tips...you look awesome! How do you feel about a "free day" with eating? A lot of exercise programs allow it. Just wanted to know your thoughts on it. thanks

Alicia said...

Man, I need to crack down on those. My mom showed me once how to do them, and I was so sore the next day, I haven't done them since. Better give it another try and appreciate the burn!!

Paige said...

Mandi I just found your blog and have to say that I LOVE IT!! So inspiring and just what I need to make me lose the grad school weight.

Related Posts with Thumbnails