I’ve toyed with how to post about weight and resistance training for months now. This is in the experimental stages, but many readers have requested more instruction in this department so I need to get cracking! When Fit Mommas speak, I listen! :)
Lifting weights requires some technique that in my book is pretty muy importante. However, when I write it all down, it becomes a novel rivaling Tolstoy.
With much reluctance, I finally took myself and my point and shoot camera out in 100% humidity today and snapped some photos using the timer (quite a comedic experience). So, I suppose I’m asking for your forgiveness at the “homemade” feel of this – but a picture goes a long way.
We are starting today with Basic Legs. A good, well rounded leg routine can include the four moves that I’ll be posting about for the next few days.
Here goes nothing!
Quadriceps.
Nickname is “quads”.
Located on the front of the leg.
Hamstrings.
Nickname is “hams”.
Located on the back of the leg.
Gluteus Maximus .
Nickname is "glutes".
This is your booty.
Basic Leg Workout: PART ONE
The Lunge
Objective:
To build strength in quads, hams and glutes.
Starting Position:
Feet together, toes facing forward, standing tall, chest open, hands on hips.
| From Personal Training pics |
Movement:
Step forward, leading with the heel. Step out nice and far, bending front and back knees. Then push off front foot (oof!) and come back to starting position.
| From Personal Training pics |
Trainer Momma Tips:
Keep front knee slightly behind toes in order to take pressure off knees. Also, the lower the better, baby! Try to “kiss” the floor with your back knee.
| From Personal Training pics |
You Should Feel It:
In your glutes and quads the most.
Workout Ideas:
-Do 15 lunges on your right leg, then 15 on your left leg. Repeat that sequence 2, then eventually 3 times.
-Do 30 total alternating lunges. Repeat that sequence 2, then eventually 3 times.
Take It Up a Notch:
Add dumbbells in both hands. Start out small (5 lbs), then work your way up (15 lbs.)
| From Personal Training pics |
Take It Up Another Notch:
-Reverse Lunges: Instead of stepping front, step back, lunge, then back to starting position.
-Side Lunges: Instead of stepping front, step out to the side, one knee bent, then other straight, then back to starting position.
| From Personal Training pics |
I wish I could jump in the computer and end up at your house to lead you through all of this, but I suppose with this medium it’s the best I can do!

3 comments:
How do I get arms like yours??? I've been doing P90X for the last 83 days, and, although I have loved the change in my workout routine (I'm a runner), my arms are not what I'd like them to be. I have muscle tone, but I feel like they are ""man arms and not as slim as I'd like them...
I don't use dumbbells any heavier than 20 pounds and usually I only use 12 pounders with 11 - 20 reps. Any suggestions? (BTW, I am 5'7" and weigh 136 pounds)
You know, that's a great one. First of all, I have my Dad's arms -- long ones. So, we can't deny our genetics -- just work with it, right? P90X rocks and it gives you all the right tools to define your arms. I have noticed my arms become even more defined the longer I lift -- over 11 years now. I will do bicep curls, btwn 15-20 reps at 15-20 lbs. -- so don't be afraid of the heavier weights if you can keep your reps up. Also, my secret weapon is swimming at least once a week - that has made those muscles pop big time. Another thing that has made a big difference lately is just dropping about 5 lbs -- my arms show it first and of course my legs last (my problem area). If your arms are your problem area, then don't give up! Just remember that you will lose weight their last and put it on their first.
Thanks for the advice and getting back to answer my question so quickly. I think I'll be starting to add swimming one day a week - too bad I'm such a comedic swimmer... gurgling, swallowing water, and trying not to drown on the way down to the other side of the pool! Oh, well, repetition right? Thanks again! I love your blog and its recipes and excellent advice! Keep up the good work! :D
Post a Comment