My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://www.trainermomma.com
and update your bookmarks.

Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Old Fashioned Apple Crisp

I made that apple crisp on Halloween just like I had planned.  And MAN am I glad I did.

It beat all that Halloween candy I didn't eat hands down.

I have been searching far and wide for an apple crisp that is not loaded with brown sugar and butter but is also edible.  I've toyed with recipes for probably 8 years and this weekend I finally found the winner.

I could not wait to pass it on to you.

One thought, however.  Nearly everything in this recipe is good for you.  There is fruit, whole grains, nuts, spices -- I mean how could you go wrong?  By eating too much.  Despite its rocks star ingredients, it still packs in the calories.  So, go easy.
Apple Crisp
Old Fashioned Apple Crisp
by www.trainermomma.com
source:  Eating Well

5 medium-large crisp, tart apples, such as McIntosh, Empire, Granny Smith or Cortland, peeled and thinly sliced (about 6 cups)
3 Tb sugar
1 Tb lemon juice
1 tsp ground cinnamon, divided
2/3 cup white whole wheat flour
1/2 cup old-fashioned rolled oats, (not instant)
1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
2 Tb Smart Balance Buttery Spread, Light
2 Tb canola oil
2 Tb frozen apple juice concentrate, thawed
1/3 cup coarsely chopped hazelnuts, or walnuts

Preheat oven to 375°F.

Coat an 8-inch square (or 2-quart) deep baking dish with cooking spray.

Combine apples with granulated sugar, lemon juice and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon in a large bowl. Toss to mix. Transfer to the prepared baking dish, cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes.

Combine whole wheat flour, oats, brown sugar and the remaining 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon in a medium bowl. Mix to blend. Using your fingers, cut in Smart Balance until evenly distributed and there are no chunks. Stir in oil, apple juice concentrate and nuts; toss well until evenly moistened and clumpy.

Remove the foil from the baking dish and scatter the topping evenly over the apples. Bake uncovered until the topping has browned and the fruit is soft and bubbling, about 25 minutes more. Let cool for at least 15 minutes before serving.

Makes 8 servings at 262 calories per serving.

For a printable version of this recipe, click here.

Like this?  Want more?  Subscribe to Trainer Momma's RSS feed by clicking here.  Thanks!

7 comments:

Alisa J said...

Sounds yummy! I wish I didn't touch the halloween candy! I did exactly what you said that you would do if you ate one piece, and i was sick. Why is it so hard to get control over food??? I had a hard time today as I was baking for a going away party. I hope to some day be at the level of control that you are at. Maybe I should practice on Thanskgiving and Christmas. Only one piece of piece, no extras. So difficult. thanks for all you do!

Kristi said...

Wow - waaaaay healthier than the apple crisp we had after dinner tonight! RE: Halloween - the good news is - I don't like candy. The bad news is - I LOVE everyrthing else! ;)

Dani Spies said...

Looks delish! Although I'd just skip the buttery spread and go straight for the butta... what are your feelings on 'buttery spreads" vs the real deal?

Trainer Momma said...

Great question, Dani and one that has a lot of different opinions out there. Mine is this: I can't get past the 7g of saturated fat in butter. I'm no margarine fan either since I can't get past the trans fats and partially hydrogenated oils.

I admit, I rarely will cook use these spreads -- they sit in my fridge for months. I'd much rather use a good oil when cooking and baking. So, that leaves me with these buttery spreads when I must use SOMETHING as in this recipe. It's not perfect, but uses no hydrogenated nor partially hydrogenated oils, does use the better oils with the good fats, has less calories and fat than butter and margarine. And to boot they throw in some omega-3's.

From what I can understand, using this is what I'm most comfortable with right now.

Dani Spies said...

Thanks so much for sharing your thought process! I only ask cause I went back and forth with this for years (always something new to learn in the world of fitness and nutrition, huh?). At the end of the day I think not matter if we choose real butter or buttery spread the key word is moderation - I don't think a little of anything can cause to much havoc to a healthy diet and lifestyle! Keep doing what you do... you are my inspiration through this second pregnancy! Can't wait to see your changes/updates to the blog!! xo

Annett/ Fit Moms Fit Kids Club said...

WOW!!! This sounds amazing!! Thanks!

Carrie said...

I'd been looking for a good dessert recipe for Thanksgiving. My father's newly discovered pancreatic cysts require a low fat diet, no fudging, and I hate to send him away from my table pining for a yummy finish to the meal. He loves apple crisp, so I'm making this (along with mashed potatoes sans butter, crisp steamed green beans and roasted turkey breast). THANKS!

Related Posts with Thumbnails