I have been recently motivated to make my own meatballs since Costco stopped carrying their Lean Turkey Meatballs over in this part of the world. These were actually quite easy and I make a ton so I would have plenty in the freezer to grab in a pinch.
Meatballs
2 lbs lean ground turkey (lean ground beef would be fine too)
3 egg whites
3/4 cups whole wheat bread crumbs
1/3 cup water
3/4 of an onion, finely chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/3 cup dried parsley
3 tsp dried basil
1 1/2 tsp ground pepper
Preheat oven broiler.
Just mix all ingredients thoroughly in a large bowl (the hands work best -- blaaaaah! I hate that part!). Shape into balls about 1 1/2 inch in diameter.
Line a baking sheet with tin foil and spray with nonstick cooking spray. Arrange meatballs on baking sheet, then place under broiler for a total of 12-15 minutes. After about 6 minutes, remove from oven, rotate the meatballs, then put them back in the oven until they are cooked on all sides.
Makes around 60-65 meatballs at 27 calories per meatball.


10 comments:
I really love your site, especially all the recipes and food eating tips :) It's helping me and my husband stay fit during grad school.
Where do you find your whole wheat bread crumbs? I have never been able to find them.
This sounds like the perfect recipe for my family.
I make my own whole wheat bread crumbs. Totally easy. Sounds like another post idea!
Yes please post on how to make whole wheat bread crumbs! And thank you for this recipe, I recently discovered my favorite meatballs from trader joe's were sodium balls and have been dying to learn how to easily make them!
Do you freeze them before or after you broil them?
I freeze them after I broil them. Then it is just a matter of reheating.
I've found organic whole wheat bread crumbs at Trader Joes before. Our recipe is pretty much the same as yours, except we add carrot puree to our meatballs (about 1/4 c) and they turn out sooo good!
I can do carrot puree! That is brilliant! Thanks for the idea...
WAIT!! I just re-read what I posted and realized that I was wrong!! I put the carrot puree in our spaghetti sauce! It was butternut puree that I put into my meatballs! SO sorry for the mix up!
Post a Comment