My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://www.trainermomma.com
and update your bookmarks.

Friday, August 13, 2010

Fit Momma Question: Protein Powder?

Many of you have emailed or commented lately about protein powder:

Do I have to eat protein powder? If I decide to, what should I look for in a protein powder?





The answer to the first question is NO. If you are getting into this health/fitness/weight loss thang, there is no rule saying you have to use protein powder. There are numberless soccer moms to athletes who DON’T use protein powder that are in fantastic shape. It is definitely a newcomer when it comes to eating healthily and if you don’t like, heck, I won’t force it down your throat.

Why protein powder?


I am not a huge supplement person, however, I am a regular protein powder consumer. I have several reasons for doing so:

1.  It keeps me full. First and foremost, when I eat a shake or meal with protein powder thrown in it prevents me from being on the blood sugar roller coaster. I personally don’t like feeling ravenously hungry throughout the day (call me crazy), so I use it.

2.  It is convenient. For this crazed busy mom of 3, I know I get a dose of easy protein by throwing in protein powder to my shake, cereal, oatmeal, milk, and baked goods. Although I adore other sources of protein, this one just fits the “I need it now” bill.

3.  It is great for building lean muscle. I am pretty hard on my body, I admit. Every morning minus one each week you’ll find me either cardio-ing, lifting, or both. After breaking down those muscles, I like eating the extra protein to build those muscles.

4.  It is low-calorie. If you choose your protein wisely, it can be a very filling snack/meal for relatively low calories. Cha-ching! I need more of those options in my life.

5.  It is cheap. I know, I know -- you are saying, “WHAT?” at the computer right now. However, if I take one scoop of protein powder that has let’s say 23 grams of protein. If I take a 5 lb. tub of protein powder, that usually has around 75 servings. I just checked online and the going rate for a 5 lb. tub of protein powder in around $43.00. Do the math and that is around $.57 per serving. That ain’t bad.

How to choose the right protein powder?


P8120004



I’ve posted on this before, but I want to update my guidelines for choosing a whey protein powder:
  • Make sure it has over 15 grams of protein in it. I actually shoot for 20 grams or above.
  • It doesn’t need to have over 30 grams of protein. Any more than that is a clever marketing scheme it just runs right through you.
  • It needs to be under 150 calories. Beware here! Don’t get stuck buying one that loads 300 calories per serving. Youch! You’ll be busting out of your pencil skirt in no time with that kind of calorie count.
  • There is really no reason to have more than 5 grams of sugar.
  • Make sure you like the taste. This is a tough one. I agree with a TM reader, Debra, that we should be able to sample single servings before we lay down $40 for this stuff.
What protein powder do I use? 


I typically use what Costco offers, which has been EAS Premium Protein Powder for a while. However, I am suspicious they are changing things up on me, so I, too, am in the market for a replacement. I tend to stick with the EAS brand and am eyeing their 100% Whey Protein. In fact, I believe Sam’s Club sells it (that’s what my Sam’s Club spies tell me, anyway).

So, give it a try if you haven't.  Or, if it makes you gag, then stay far away.  I'll down a cold, luscious protein shake in your honor.

How about you, Fit Mommas? Are you a protein powder junkie like myself? What protein powders do you prefer? How do you use them? Comment below and let us know WHAT WORKS!

For more Fit Momma Questions, click here.

I’ll say it once, and I’ll say it every week -- I love your questions! Keep them coming!

**Nope, no one paid me to write this post nor compensated me in any way.  I'm just telling you what works :)

Like this?  Want more?  Subscribe to Trainer Momma's RSS feed by clicking here.  Thanks!

14 comments:

benbidder said...

I have a protein shake every morning, yummy!! :) I, too, was having the EAS brand and then my husband read an article that it was one of the least healthiest due to things like arsenic, etc..he said it would be ok since I was only having one scoop a day, but I was a little nervous. I switched to Gold Standard brand, he got it at GNC I think and it is yummy too. I use vanilla and some vanilla protein powders are just nasty. But yes, I love how I am good to go for a long time in the morning after having my shake, I have it with a light english muffin with cinnamon on top and I am full for 5-6 hours. Then I just eat a few small meals the rest of the day. Works out great! :) I love your blog by the way!!

Trainer Momma said...

I know there's this arsenic thing rolling around... I just read the ingredients for my EAS protein powder and no arsenic in there. I won't be keeling over any time soon (to my kid's dismay -- I'm making them clean the entire house top to botton tonight :).

Unknown said...

I use Gold Standard 100% egg white protein because I have to remain gluten and dairy free. It comes in the typical flavors of vanilla, vanilla custard, chocolate and has been a great addition to my regimen. It blends really well and is actually tolerable in water if I'm in a pinch.

Anonymous said...

I use NU-TEK PRO 5. It comes in several flavors but I like the Orange 50/50 bar flavor the best. It has 32 grams of protein per serving at 145 calories. I like to use half of a scoop before going to bed. I sleep better and I don't wake up starving in the morning.

I with you Trainer Momma, consuming protien powder helps one feel less hungry and also helps me to consume enough protein every day. I'm a believer!

Amy said...

So, while I'm wondering if my mom Debbie is the one who asked you that question (b/c she was asking me a similar question weeks ago)... I have to confess I thought the EAS Powder WAS whew powder!!

I am LoW said...

I've been doing the protien powder thing since I started my journey 18 weeks ago but I am starting to rethink it. So many chemicals, artificial sweetners, ingrediants I can't pronounce (which is suppose to be a no-no). I don't know.....

Emma said...

I like Gold Standard too. 120 calories, 1 gram sugar and 24 grams protein.

I've only tried chocolate and it's good.

Brian and Janette said...

I've read some research that shows that people who use protein powders as a meal replacement 2-3 times a day are more likely to keep the weight off. I'm a huge protein shake drinker...it's basically my dessert some nights! So good for you and so yummy!

EAS used to be owned by Bill Phillip's. I've heard that after he sold it (about 10 years ago) it's gone down hill in the quality of ingredients. But, since I didn't ever use it, I can't say that for myself. I personally use Bill Phillip's new product--Right Nutrition. I get the chocolate and vanilla Right Light protein powders. It's a little more expensive than others but the taste and quality of nutrition is so great! No artificial sweetners, fat free, sugar free, 3g fiber, 22g protein, 11g carbs, and 130 calories. Drink 'em plain or with fruit and ice in a blender. YUM! (He boasts an all natural product...for those concerned about additives and the like. Maltodextrin is the sweetner.)

Amber said...

I'm new to protein powder but it didn't take me long to become a fan! I love Dymatize Nutrition's ISO 100. It's a whey isolate, has 106 calories, no fat, no lactose, no sugar, 1 carb, and it's like chocolate milk to me! I have this post workout with a banana and I'm good to go until lunch. Not the cheapest but I've learned the saying 'you get what you pay for' applies here too. I've bought it from a health food store but found it on the internet for much less.

Amber said...

. . . Oh and ISO 100 has 25 grams of protein . . . guess that's kind of important when talking PROTEIN powder.

Jen Howick said...

Sorry, totally random comment, but I know how much you love salads (yea!) and this blog I've followed for forever just did a long post on super yummy salads. I'm sure you could convert them into healthy ones and repost them, rigggghhhhht? ;) (in all your spare time of course!) Seriously though, some of them look fab and so thought you might want to try them out! http://fortheloveofcooking-recipes.blogspot.com/

Trainer Momma said...

Jen -- I've also followed that food blog for about a year and LOVE IT. There is rarely anthing I've tried I haven't liked. I usually just take her salads at face value and rarely have to change them. Yes, she uses oil and such in the dressings, but the good stuff. She is very talented. Thanks for the link and heads up.

headbandlady said...

Jay Robb Whey Protein Powder is the one I use. I purchase mine at Sprouts. I am into "Clean Eating", and really reading my ingredients...Jay Robb brand is rBGH-free whey protein, 25 grams of protein per serving, and made with Stevia. It is all natural, and fat free. Also it has no MSG, no artificial flavors, no artificial sweeteners, no artificial colrs, no aspartame, and no sucralose... If you haven't tried Jay Robbs - I would suggest you give it a try...taste wonderful!

Debra Lynn said...

Thanks for clearing up the mystery of protein powder - I am now armed and ready to go shopping! (And, yes, Amy, it was your mother asking.) Debra

Related Posts with Thumbnails