I've had several versions of this question come through my inbox in the past few months. It is thought provoking:
I've been watching what I eat, exercising more than ever. I have lost some weight. When is it safe to go back to normal?
My thoughts on that immediately turned to our most recent (and if I have anything to do with it, the LAST) trip to a very popular restaurant that shall remain nameless.
A few clues to figure out where we ate:
- Their menu is as long as the latest novel I've been reading
- They always has at least a 30 minute wait
- They sell a bajillion flavors of cheesecake.
Did you guess? :)
You may remember that the Doc has lost about 40 lbs in the last year. He's been a rock star when it comes to cutting his portion sizes, eating nutrient dense foods, and faithfully working out. His results have been nothing short of exciting.
Due to the Doc's work schedule, we ate ENTIRELY too late. We were starving. It was the perfect storm: two starving people, one endless menu of high calorie foods. This was not going to be pretty.
By the time we ordered, he had thrown all healthy habits aside and declared he was going to "eat whatever he wanted." I have learned the hard way to keep my trap shut when it comes to offering my opinions about his eating choices unless asked, but I could not be still. I warned him that he couldn't eat like "he used to", because he was no longer that person. He simply could not eat that many calories any more since there was less of him to feed! He was convinced that he could down the same amount of food like the good ole' days and set out to prove me wrong.
Out came the unlimited bread baskets, he order appetizers of lettuce rolls, a main dish of chicken fried steak, mashed potatoes, and a few steamed veggies, and a dessert. Oh, and don't forget the unlimited refills of Dr. Pepper. Mind you, the portions were off the charts Texas-HUGE.
This is an actual photo I snapped after the gorge.
And before the gagging started.
I see people, myself included, make this mistake over and over again. They do what it takes to get the weight off, then go back to their old habits. And guess what? Surprise! Their body goes back to how it used to be. When we eat well/workout, then drop it all after a while, then start it up again -- that's called yo-yo dieting, and healthy people don't do that. We -- yes, I'm including you here! - eat well and responsibly, workout regularly for the long haul. It's called taking care of our bodies.
There simply is a "new normal". It looks something like this:
- Eat responsible portions
- Eat nutrient dense food -- Veggies, baby!
- Eat for quality, not just quantity (no matter what restaurants in Texas try to tell you)
- Cardio 5-6 days a week -- sweat!
- Lift weights 2-3 days a week
- Rest
- Stay hydrated
Is it safe to indulge occasionally? Of course! I cheat regularly and enjoy every chocolate-licking bite! However, there is a big difference between a treat occasionally to the way I used to eat. That looked something like this:
- Brown, brown, brown. Lots of breads, cereals, and crackers.
- No vegetables. Yuck.
- Lots of processed food.
- Dessert was my main dish. Honestly.
- Absolutely NO sweating allowed.
- No lifting weights.
- Candy, sugar, cupcakes, cookies in all shapes and sizes -- you got the picture, right?
- Buying bigger and bigger clothes to accommodate my growing back side.
My point is that after adopting new healthy habits the idea is to keep living those healthy habits -- FOREVER. Until we die, folks. And after a while, we willingly leave the old ways behind and it becomes who we are. It is a wonderful place to be :)
Hey, Fit Momma, how have you adjusted to the new normal? Or have you always had healthy habits? Have you gotten off the "on again, off again" roller coaster? What is the hardest part for you? Comment below!
Just so you, I appreciate any emails and questions -- click here to send them my way! I love this stuff!
Like this? Want more? Subscribe to Trainer Momma's RSS feed by clicking here. Thanks!


9 comments:
I guessed it on the first clue! We love that place.
Well Miss Mandi... that's exactly where I was hoping to go for my birthday dinner! and I'm taking YOU!
OK, just kidding. :D
By the end of the summer I hope I will have reached my weight loss goal. (24 pounds). I appreciate this post as it's forced me to think about how I plan to keep that weight off.
I've always eaten pretty healthy but after I menopaused I didn't reduced my portion size and although I've always been very active, that activity didn't include a good exercise program. If the truth be told it didn't include any exercise program.
In the fall I hope to add back more good carbs and desserts occasionally. I will also continue counting calories and watching portion size and of course I will continue to exercise. I've hired a trainer for a once a week training session for a year so that I would be fully committed to the exercise part of my healthy life. I know most people can't afford to do that but it's what I needed to keep me going.
I guess I'll just have to report back to you by the end of the year to see if my plan works for me.
Oh one other thing I've done, I've given all my larger sized clothes away as further incentive to keep the weight off.
We should have the mentality that we are not "dieting" which seems to have a negative connotation and makes us feel restricted with what we can eat and call it a "lifestyle change". We're swapping old habits for new habits and I think lifestyle change sounds liberating, which when we do live a healthy lifestyle it's exactly that.
I love this blog. It's inspiring.
I love my fatty food on occasion when I eat out, but my husband and I always split the meal, which helps. Of course at CF a lot of their meals could feed 3 or 4 people.
My goal is for my new healthy lifestyle to be my normal but some day's I have to work at it so hard that the thought of doing it forever is exhausting.And other days it's as easy as breathing. I wonder when the hard days will go away?
I don't think the hard days ever go away. I'm the same as you -- some days are easy and other days I'm dragging. I just think of the alternative: not working out. Those consequences (tired, grumpy, feel fat, no patience) are just not worth it to me. When I'm completely burned out, and I know when that is, I will at least do something like walk for an hour instead of run or do an easy swim. I know I didn't push myself 100%, but at least I did something.
Great post!! I recently started eating smaller portions and more veggies and it helps a TON. i didn't realize how much more I was eating than I needed to. We just need to be conscious of what our body needs and not what we want.... which is my problem!
Enter to win a Lime Ricki swimsuit!
clothed much, a modest fashion blog
can't wait to get back into a regular exercise schedule!
I get cleared after a very long (in my head) 7 week surgery recovery period. It's gonna be tough--but I always feel so good about myself after I sweat a bit.
It's a total head game.
"new normal" is perfect! that's how i live my life now--SMALLER portions, eating HALF of my out to dinner meal (altho loving your idea of eating an appetizer)--i DEF notice when i eat crap all day--i TOTALLY feel it at night...yuck!
What balances me out is to eat whatever i want on sundays--then the rest of the week i stick to the "new normal" it some how works for me and gives me balance---
believe me-since Jon broke his neck 4 years ago the ONE thing that has REALLY kept me SANE is working out--its healthy, takes just an hour-its alone quiet time, and getting a cute bod is just a bonus!!!
Post a Comment