This delicious treats come from my friend Lexi, a.k.a. Most Nutritious Mom in the Alamo City. She has a million of this healthy treats up her sleeve, and I am constantly stealing them from her children's snack bags to taste them for myself.
Fiber Bars
by Fit Momma Lexi
2 cups rolled oats (old-fashioned)
1 cup whole wheat pastry flour (or stoneground spelt flour)
1 cup wheat germ
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons cinnamon, ground
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg, freshly grated
1/2 cup ground flax seeds
1/2 cup oil (neutral flavor like sunflower)
1/2 cup honey
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 teaspoons blackstrap molasses (optional)
1 cup sugar-free applesauce, thick
Directions:
1 cup whole wheat pastry flour (or stoneground spelt flour)
1 cup wheat germ
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons cinnamon, ground
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg, freshly grated
1/2 cup ground flax seeds
1/2 cup oil (neutral flavor like sunflower)
1/2 cup honey
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 teaspoons blackstrap molasses (optional)
1 cup sugar-free applesauce, thick
Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. In a large bowl, combine dry ingredients (including oats) and whisk together until well combined.
3. In a separate bowl, whisk together wet ingredients until well blended.
4. Add wet mixture to dry ingredients and blend gently until well moistened.
5. Add any of the suggested additions (add up to 2 cups of any of the following): chocolate chips, raisins (soaked in hot water for 10 minutes then drained), unsweetened shredded coconut, sunflower seeds (unsalted), pumpkin seeds (unsalted), dried fruit (like chopped apricots, cranberries), chopped toasted nuts.
6. Press mixture into pan a 9in x 13in pan.
7. Bake at 350°F for 20 minutes. Cut into bars while warm, but let cool completely before removing from pan.
Makes 36 bars at 161 calories each.
For a printer friendly version of this recipe, click here.


6 comments:
So glad to see this... I am very anti-fiber bars/protein bars... so it's great that this is homeade!
I have been looking for a good granola-ish bar I can make, and this seems like it will be yummy. Can't wait to try it!
Nutrition info looks good on these! I ran it with 12 bars per batch. Look forward to making them!
Nutrition Facts (from Livestrong)
Serving Size: 1 bars
Calories 247
Calories from Fat 99.5
% Daily Value *
Total Fat 11.06g 17%
Saturated Fat 1.51g 7%
Cholesterol 0mg 0%
Sodium 122.92mg 5%
Total Carbohydrate 35.61g 11%
Dietary Fiber 9.01g 36%
Sugars 12.73g
Protein 6.74g 13%
Est. Percent of Calories from:
Fat 38%
Carbs 57%
Protein 10%
Melissa, You ROCK. I am totally going to start using that Livestrong program.
These Fiber Bars, however are very rich. The batch you see here I cut into smaller bars. So, take your figure and divide it by 1/3.
82 calories! Sweet! It is MUCH more tasty than a granola bar you can buy from the store, more filling and has way more fiber, protein, and less sugar.
Thanks for the info and the awesome resource!
No problem hun! I've been tracking my food on Livestrong forever! It's the best! I figured they would end up being smaller, but until I actually make them and see how big they are, I just went with an average size of 12. Glad to know they should be smaller!
Love these - i have tried a few variations and the kids and I love them ALL! I cut mine into 15 initially ad wrap them individually so they are easy to grab on the go. I usually end up cutting them in half for the kids to share with eachother - or for me... they really are very rich, and I only used 1/4 cup choco chips!
Thanks!
Post a Comment