Welcome to Mandi-ley!
This month's book was "Rebecca" by Daphne Du Maurier
Not to turn into Ms. Cliff's Notes or anything, but basically this very young girl gets married to a very rich man named Maximillian and he moves her to his estate called "Manderly". Well, I decided to break out with my Grandma Melba's heirloom china and turn my house into "Mandi-ly". Get it? I don't think anyone laughed harder than me as I repeated that joke 15 times as each gal walked in my door. It never got old. I'm still smiling :)
Along with the china, I inherited this vintage dress is also from my late Grandma Melba. It is the dress she wore to my parent's wedding reception in 1969 -- nearly 41 years ago! It was sewn by my Grandpa Eddie's sister, Rose, who was a milliner. The fabric is still so vibrant, the stitching so solid. What a gem!
It is not mandatory for us to give a huge spread or dress up for that matter. I just focused on light, simple, and pretty healthy. Plus everything looks better on my Grandma Melba's china. That woman had some class.
On the table:
Vegetable platter
Roasted red pepper hummus
Whole wheat pita bread
Strawberry trifle with mini chocolate chips
Water with lemon
We did our best to make this a formal affair.
Plus, I needed an excuse to wear this darlings:
We all had a ball, had a very enriching discussion, and stayed up way too late on a weeknight. That translates to a successful -- and typcial -- Book Club night. See why I love these ladies? And yes, I did stay up late washing Grandma's china. But as one of my very favorite blogging friends wrote on her blog, "I love you enough to wash your dish." And, your china cup.
Like this? Want more? Subscribe to Trainer Momma's RSS feed by clicking here. Thanks!










10 comments:
I love that dress so pretty! What a fun book club. LOVE IT!
I love the book club scene you put on!
Grandma would be so proud - You definitely look the part. Seeing her china was very nostalgic for me. Great blog Mandi!
You seriously need to move next door. So Rebecca is my all time favorite book. I think it's because I read it when I was 16 and it was my first book that I remember I could not put down. It began my love affair with books. Beautiful in Grandma's dress. I actually have the same china inherited from my Grandma Georga. It must have been a popular style. So I love all you posts, but this made me miss my sister and cousins close. I'll have to give Carley a call! Are you sure you aren't moving here? I have a fabulous book club :)
That book was one of the first books that I keep telling people they had to read when I was young. It was a classic then and continues to be. What a fun night. We had book club tonight also...read HUNGER GAMES. Excellent book if you haven't read it yet.
Hunger Games is on our list -- we are reading it in the fall. Actually, I've already started!
Crystal -- Give Carley a big Texas hug from her sister! I am counting down the weeks until I can see her again! We are here in TX for a while longer (??).
I love that book! One of my all time favorites! You have to see the movie with Montgomery Clift as Maximillian. It's really old and really good.
I heart your dress big time. It is fabulous! Also, I have a grandma Melba, too. How weird is that?
Natalie -- I have never met anyone else who had a Grandma Melba. That's why I like you so much! Or it could be that you are just awesome.
I love you enough to wash your dishes too!
Post a Comment