My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://www.trainermomma.com
and update your bookmarks.

Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Fad Diets -- The Gig is Up

Atkins Diet
Alli Diet
Acai Berry Diet
Beverly Hills Diet
Cabbage Soup Diet
Celery Diet
Cookie Diet
Egg Diet
Fat Free Diet
Grapefruit Diet
HCG Diet
Liquid Diets
Suzanne Somers Diet
Subway Diet
The Zone
3 Day Diet
Phen-Fen
Diet Patches
Diet Pills
Plastic Wrap
Jaws wired shut

Oh my gosh, does the list ever end?

After reading about diet after diet and all their restrictions and rules, I just wanted to run to the hills screaming. Frankly, there are little bits of truth within each of the diets. But it seemed like the weirder the diet, the more followers it has.

I found this online and started laughing out loud:


Is this true or what?!? And why is it?

If you've read Trainer Momma for more than one day, you'll know that I'm no alarmist. Yes, I do recommend certain foods, fitness gear, workouts, and books that offer sound fitness and nutrition advice. I suppose you could call me a moderationist (I just made that word up).

I advocate what works:

Vegetables
Fruits
Lean proteins
Whole grains
Good fats and oil
Low sugar
Low bad fats
Low salt
Nutrient dense foods
Tons of water
Do cardio most days a week
Lift weights a few times a week
Sweat
*CONSISTENCY*

We don't have to reinvent the wheel here. WE KNOW THIS STUFF. Why do we as a culture keep looking for the next take-twenty-pounds-off-in-a-week program? Why not just use the knowledge we already have, DO IT, then enjoy long term health and fitness?

The diet business is a $40 BILLION a year industry. This is crazy.

I'm taking my money and going buy some more spinach and goat cheese, thank you.

Fit Mommas, what are your thoughts on fad diets?




17 comments:

Greer said...

It's true that a lot of these fad diets aren't going to be as productive on the retail market as it was before, but it still earns good coin year in and year out. The important thing to realize here is that people are looking for a leap of faith in whatever diet they start getting involved with. They hope it can help them loose a lot of weight when we all know that its a lot of hard work and exercise on a consistent basis.

Alisa J said...

Amen, amen, amen. I agree with you all of the way. I did not just lose 36 pounds in seven months because of some fad diet. I ate sensibly and worked out consistently. It works. I think people want the easy way out, but there is no easy way out. This is the way that lasts, not those fads out there.

Christina McKinney said...

Lol, you left off The South Beach Diet...is that because it's the only one that works?? ;) Lol, it's done wonders for me, but only because it follows most of the basic rules you laid out. I've never been a "fad diet" fan, in fact, I've never been a diet fan at all!! However, this was th eone that my Dr. recommended, and I have to say that I understand why. I feel great when I eat well!!

Chiemi said...

LOL, I was just going to mention the South Beach diet too since that's what my Mom is on and she is doing great. I personally like your rules better. Easier to follow. :)

martha corinna said...

Mmmmm...how about a goat cheese diet?

I think your "consistency" is the key, isn't it? I think one has to be fairly disiplined in order to abstain from the bad and regularly practice the good. Especially since our culture uses sugar as a reward system.

You went potty? Here's some sugar. You had a hard day? Here's some sugar. You ate your peas? Here's some sugar. You attended the church meeting? Here is some sugar. Seriously, by the end of the day, sugar is your major food group. So I think it is easier for people to think "this is only for a short period of time" when it comes to a fad diet.

Christina said...

EXACTLY!!!!!! ive never ever ever done a diet plan my entire life-its really pretty simple common sense just as you laid out.

That being said-this is why I chose to be part of Nuriche.com-because there is NO WAY anyone can eat 30 fruits, 30 vegetables, 11 seeds/nuts/enzymes & 22 probiotics with (NO SUGAR, NO PRESERVATIVES, NO CAFFEINE & NO CHEMICALS) every SINGLE day-but with the Nuriche that I use-YEP EVERY SINGLE DAY!
(its a berry flavored powder you mix with water)

We arent out there promoting a diet fad-just a convienent way for people to get all of that goodness every single day. BECAUSE with Nuriche people are getting all these good whole live foods INTO their bodies-the body takes what it needs and gets rid of what it doesnt-simple common sense.

I dont want to be a commercial for Nuriche products-but wanted to share why it works & why my family INCLUDING my children (because its 100% safe for kids of ALL ages)use it everyday.

I could obviously go on and on here--but anyone is free to read more at www.NuricheWell.com

ps: I am using ur workout routine mon/wed/fri and training someone -then we do the interval cardio tue/thu/sats--when do you change ur january workout? You are AMAZINGLY helpful and I have referred your site to SO MANY!
you ROCK!

Kristi said...

Love it!!! It drives me crazy to see friends/family doing crazy diets and they always ask me how I stay thin/ get thin so quickly after having babies! HOW? - exactly what you laid out! I exercise and eat really healthy - NO, I am not perfect at it - but I actually do prefer healthier foods, so that helps;) Plus I love to move - we go on hikes or walks as a family all the time and my exercise time is practically sacred.
That said - losing weight after #4 has been the hardest yet... but I wil keep on working hard - not give in to some scheme that says I can lose it all in a few weeks! For one thing - it would be back on in no time! What would be the point???

Beth said...

I remember the Atkins fad a while back. My inlaws went on it proclaiming "They finally found a way people can lose weight without exercising"
(insert eye roll)

Sure they lost a lot of weight, but they gained it all back. I don't know how someone can think that eating eggs, bacon with cream in the coffee is healthy, but don't have orange juice!

Ratliffs said...

Moderation and self control is something that I think is important as well as everything else you said. :) I have a question that is unrelated, but I'll ask it anyway: Why do you mix Greek yogurt with regular yogurt? I recently bought some, and after trying to make yogurt with it (realizing it doesn't contain live active cultures so therefore it didn't work), trying to eat it by itself (that lasted less than one bite), have now just started using it in my smoothies. Thanks for all your great info and advice!

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh! Why is it that fundamental evangelism and weird eating habits seem to go together?! That is so true! ha!

Trainer Momma said...

I mixed the Greek yogurt and regular plain yogurt because that's all I had left in the fridge :) I'll take greek yogurt down to its last drop! I really prefer it with agave nectar, though. That is heaven for me.

Kate said...

People are always looking for the easy way out which is why fad diets will always garner followers. Americans (in general) are lazy, which is why we are the fattest, unhealthiest country on the planet. It's sad really, considering we are also the richest.

My newest personal soapbox is that we don't need healthcare reform in this country as much as we need FOOD reform. The way it is produced (watch Food, Inc.), the way it is marketed and prepared, and we need better education.

I think fast food, soda and JUNK in general should be taxed just like cigarettes and alcohol. If you're going to poison yourself and ruin your body, you should pay more for it, not LESS.

I'll get off my soapbox now. :)

Christina said...

YES food inc is DEF MUST SEE!!

Alicia said...

I love Kate's comment from above!! So clever. I did one fad diet once, lost a ton of weight fast, and gained every pound and more back. I'm now doing the Trainer Momma Diet. I've lost 30 pounds so far and I'm going to keep going. It's the easiest diet I've ever done.

Trainer Momma said...

Alicia -- you just made me smile :)

Jen Howick said...

I LOVE THIS POST!!! I have so many friends that tell me about the new things they are doing to lose weight and then they want to know why I don't do them too. I just want to pull my hair out! Because you don't keep weight off when you eat 500 calories per day, that's why! You might lose the weight fast but you will gain it back even faster, and then some! Eating well and exercising is the best and only effective way. period! Love ya, Trainer Momma! Oh and btw, my aunt is always saying to me, "Is this something Trainer Momma would approve of"? or "Trainer Momma would love this!" etc... when talking about food choices. Too funny. YOU ROCK!

Angie said...

I feel like anything you might ever need to know about your body, diet, and such, Dr. Oz has the answer to.

I just treat food as fuel to my body but I make it DELICIOUS fuel, and MAKE it from fresh, unprocessed ingredients. It easy and cheaper and I always feel great!

Related Posts with Thumbnails