You are pregnant.
Great excuse to hang up the tennis shoes, right? WRONG. This is exactly when you need to keep on moving.
The American Congress of Obstetricians and Gynecologists recommend some type of cardiovascular exercise for at least 30 minutes 5-6 times a week. Hhhmmm... Sounds suspiciously familiar. Oh wait, that's what we're supposed to be doing when we're not pregnant! So, basically just keep it up!
Benefits of exercising while pregnant:
-better sleep (I'll take it!)
-improves muscle strength and endurance (holy cow, you are going to need this!)
-reduces swelling (OK, towards the end you still may be sporting "kankles" -- those are ankles that are as big as you knees :0)
-keeps that heart healthy to be able to handle the demands of pregnancy
-increases energy
-improves your mood
-can help prevent gestational diabetes
-can help reduce those killer lower backaches
-reduces swelling (OK, towards the end you still may be sporting "kankles" -- those are ankles that are as big as you knees :0)
-keeps that heart healthy to be able to handle the demands of pregnancy
-increases energy
-improves your mood
-can help prevent gestational diabetes
-can help reduce those killer lower backaches
The typical advice for exercising while pregnant is to basically continue what you had done prior to the pregnancy. Yes, that means if you were a serious runner, it is safe to continue running. Of course, be smart, ladies. I am not a huge runner, but decided to do some sprints at the track with the Doc while 5 months preggo and pulled every ligament "down there" from north to south. I swear I could barely walk for a month. Use your brain (unlike competitive ole' me) and don't be crazy. Save that for later.
If you haven't exercised before, are now pregnant, and are wondering if you can join the healthy momma's club, the answer is OF COURSE! Just start slow. Walking is always the first place to start. Go for a 10 minute walk for a few days in a row, then up it to 15. You'll build your time up to 30 minutes in no time at all! Doesn't it feel fantastico?
A few of you have asked about spin classes while pregnant. You just have to make the proper adjustments to your bike so you are more upright to leave room for your growing belly.
I spun with Baby #2 until I was 8 months along. At that point, I had to run to the bathroom literally every 10 minutes, so I decided to change. I switched to the recumbent bike which took a lot of that pressure off of my bladder.
I must give a plug for swimming while pregnant. For some of us, it is humiliating to put on the tent that is supposed to pass as a swim suit and get in the pool. However, once you are there, it is pure bliss. Goodbye gravity and hello buoyancy! HALLELUJAH! It is the one place on this earth where you can feel somewhat like your old self again. Toward the end of the pregnancy, walking and jogging laps in the pool is liberating. You are running! Forget that you are moving at a snail's pace, just enjoy the gentle movement.
Some smart cardio ideas for Pregnant Fit Mommas:
walking
recumbent bike
elliptical trainer
stair master
swimming
hiking
low impact aerobics
walking
recumbent bike
elliptical trainer
stair master
swimming
hiking
low impact aerobics
Of course, like any responsible fitness professional, I'm going to tell you to run any new or existing exercise regimens you are doing by your doctor. Just let her/him know that you are one Fit Momma. They'll get it.


3 comments:
that foot picture is freaky, but you're totally right about the working out thing. I felt so much better, was less crazy (hormonal) and slept so much better when I walked during pregnancy. And it helped the weight flow right off after I had the baby.
Great post. I needed that motivation. I am 6 months pregnant and don't feel like doing anything. I am potty training my 2 year old so I think that should qualify for something. :)
I am putting my walking shoes back on!
Potty training burns some serious calories, I'm sure of it. I sweat through many t-shirts trying to potty train my first. Ugh. So now, I just take my time... I figure by the time they go to prom, they will not want to go in diapers.
Post a Comment