My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://www.trainermomma.com
and update your bookmarks.

Monday, September 21, 2009

More Interval Workouts

In a follow up to yesterday’s Interval Training post, here are several workouts for you to use to your heart’s content. The next thing you know, you’ll be making up your own! It’s all about playing with the numbers and making this interesting.

Don’t be afraid to mix it up! There are some days that there is NO WAY you can stay ball and chained to that miserable machine. So, shake it up by walking for your recovery and jumping rope for your high intensity interval. Go to a class that uses high intensity intervals. Head to a track, let the kiddos run wild, and jog the track, then run the stairs for your intervals. Nobody is making you slave away doing the same thing day after day. In fact, your body, muscles, joints and bones very much appreciate it if you change it up regularly.

With intervals, you can increase your speed or increase your resistance/incline, or both.

BTW, I also put the Rate of Perceived Exertion (see previous post) next to the intervals so you can kick your own can accordingly.

30 minute (or so) Interval Workouts
(for longer workouts just repeat the intervals)
These workouts are designed for ANY type of cardio. Walking, jogging, swimming, rowing, cycling, jumping rope, stair master, elliptical trainer, trampoline jumping, the boogie woogie. Do what you love! :)

Standard
1. Warm up – 2 minutes (R.P.E. 3-4)
2. 1 minute hard (R.P.E. 8-10!!!)
3. 1 minute easy (R.P.E. 5-6)
4. Repeat #2-3 times until you are at 30 minutes
5. Cool down on your walk to child care to pick up the rascals.


I’m Sick of the Standard
1. Warm up – 2 minutes (R.P.E. 3-4)
2. 2 minutes moderately hard (R.P.E. 6-7)
3. 4 minutes the very hard (R.P.E. 8-10!!!)
4. 1 minute easy recovery (R.P.E. 3-4)
5. Repeat #2-4 total of 4 times
6. Cool down

Pyramid Workout
1. Warm up – 2 minutes (R.P.E. 3-4)
2. 30 sec. hard (R.P.E. 8-10!!!), recover 1 minute (R.P.E. 5-6)
3. 45 sec. hard, recover 1 minute
4. 1 minute hard, recover 1 minute
5. 1:30 minute hard, recover 1 minute
6. 1:45 minute hard, recover 1 minute
7. 2:00 minutes hard, recover 1 minute
8. Repeat #2-7 but in reverse order.
9. Cool down, baby! Ouch!

Ladder Workout
1. Warm up – 2 minutes (R.P.E. 3-4)
2. 1 minute at moderate level (R.P.E. 3-4)
3. 1 minute increase to next level up (R.P.E. 5)
4. Repeat #3 total of 6 times (R.P.E. 6, 7, 8, 9, 10!!!)
5. Repeat #2-4 total of 3 or 4 more times.
6. Cool down

I’m Running Away to the Hills Workout
1. Warm up – 2 minutes (R.P.E. 3-4)
2. 2 minutes hard (R.P.E. 8-9)
3. 2 minutes easy (R.P.E. 4-5)
4. 1 minute hard (R.P.E. 9)
5. 1 minute easy (R.P.E. 4-5)
6. 30 seconds hard (R.P.E. 10!!)
7. 30 seconds easy (R.P.E. 4-5)
8. Repeat #2-7 total of 4 times
9. Cool down

Now I've got to go do a high intensity sprint to the school to pick up the kiddos, I'm late! I'll be hitting R.P.E. 9-10 for sure on the ole' bike for sure -- if you see a blur, that was me :)

4 comments:

Amy said...

Is this for the treadmill? Or anything?

Trainer Momma said...

ANYTHING!

kristen @ just-iced cookies said...

I'm going to try running away to the hills on the Precor today - looking forward to it!

Ann Hatch said...

I've been loving the interval idea... been doing 4-3-2-1 minute intervals: 4 min at easy, 3 min harder, 2 minutes pretty hard, 1 minute way hard! It works out good for me because 4-3-2-1 minutes equals 10 minutes, so I can easily calculate it while I'm doing the workout...

Related Posts with Thumbnails